Indians ‘deserving candidates’ for Australian scholarshipsMay 19th, 2009 - 5:04 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 19 (IANS) The Australian government has announced ten merit-based scholarships for students from Asia and Indian scholars are being considered “deserving” candidates.
Indian students would be the “best and deserving candidates” for the Prime Minister’s Australia Asian Endeavour awards announced recently, according to the Australian High Commissioner to India, John McCarthy.
“I am sure that India will provide some of the best and deserving candidates for these scholarships. The students have shown a keen interest in studying in Australia in recent years. The Australian government is committing $14.9 million over four years to establish the scholarship programme and I am confident that this will yield beneficial results,” McCarthy said in a statement here Tuesday.
The Endeavour awards are a part of the the Australian government’s internationally competitive, merit-based scholarship programme for students from Asia-Pacific, Middle East, Europe and the Americas to undertake study in any field in Australia.
Commencing in 2010, ten scholarships will be awarded to the top 10 scholars from Asia each year. Around 40 awards are also available to Australian students for one year study and internship or work in Asia.
According to the high commissioner’s office, India is now the second top source country for Australia’s international education industry, with over 97,000 Indian enrolments in Australia in 2008. Around 102 Indian students have received study and research scholarships from the Australian government in the past 18 months.
- Australia announces Endeavour Awards - May 15, 2009
- Oz envoy launches book to celebrate significant achievements of Indians Down Under - Feb 17, 2011
- Australia awards 26 high achieving Indians - Feb 23, 2012
- Britain announces 60 new scholarships for Indians - Mar 28, 2012
- Two Indians get Australia-India Council Young Media Fellowships - Jan 15, 2010
- Attacks reflect cultural challenges, says Australian envoy - Sep 28, 2010
- Australia to counsel Indian students following attacks - Jul 08, 2009
- Seven Indian students get prestigious Australian scholarship - Sep 21, 2010
- Ex-Oz envoy to India appointed Chair of Australia-India Council - Dec 22, 2009
- Attacks on Indian students will be prevented: Australian envoy - Jun 27, 2009
- Australia to start natural gas exports to India by 2014 - Mar 18, 2009
- New Zealand PM announces sports scholarships for Indians - Jun 27, 2011
- Modi expresses concern to PM, Oz High Commission over students attacks - Jun 12, 2009
- Movie Preview: THE WAITING CITY (2010) - Sep 21, 2010
- Seven Indians awarded Australian scholarship (Lead) - Sep 21, 2010
Tags: asia pacific, australian government, australian high commissioner, australian scholarships, australian students, beneficial results, deserving candidates, east europe, endeavour awards, indian scholars, indian students, international education industry, internship, john mccarthy, keen interest, New Delhi, research scholarships, source country, studying in australia, top source