Indians celebrate century of living in MalaysiaDecember 20th, 2010 - 5:35 pm ICT by IANS
Kuala Lumpur, Dec 20 (IANS) It is celebration time for ethnic Indians, whose forefathers came to settle in Malaysia, as they complete a century of living in the northeastern state of Kelantan, bordering Thailand.The ethnic Indian community chose for the celebrations the historic Batu Caves, a site 13 km from Kuala Lumpur that has one of the largest complex of Hindu shrines in the world outside India.
Over 2,000 members of the Association of Malaysia Indians of Kelantan Origin took a trip down memory lane as they recalled the time spent in the state.
Though many of them no longer reside in Kelantan, their sentiment for the state is still strong, The Star online reported Monday.
Multi-ethnic Malaysia is home to 2.1 million people of Indian origin, who constitute around seven and a half percent of the 28-million population.
K. Kuppu, 75, who came all the way from Kulim in Kedah state, was thrilled to reunite with her old friends.
“I was born, brought up and even married in Kerla Estate in Kelantan. Half of my life was spent in Kelantan before I moved to Kulim with my daughter,” said Kuppu.
“The gathering has reunited me with friends whom I have not seen for 15 years.”
B. Menaka Bhai, 72, who lived in Soko Estate for 30 years, was also delighted that she was able to meet her old friends.
Association president T. Perumal was happy with the overwhelming response from his fellow Kelantanese who made the event a grand success.
“This is going to be a yearly event. Next year, we will be having this gathering in Kelantan,” said Perumal.
- Now, Malay Indians want a deputy prime minister - Dec 10, 2010
- Indian is Malaysia's first woman mridhangam player - Aug 03, 2010
- DAP veteran urges Malaysian Govt. to focus on Indian interests - Jun 30, 2010
- Malay Indians losing their strength due to disunity - Mar 26, 2010
- Malaysian Indian leader restrained from registering members - Mar 08, 2011
- Malaysian Hindu festival gets Buddhist touch - Jan 20, 2011
- Malaysia to resolve ethnic Indians' citizenship issues - Dec 31, 2010
- Malaysian Youth wings condemn state govt's proposed Valentine's Day crackdown - Feb 11, 2011
- Malaysia's early poll talks overshadow Diwali celebrations - Oct 25, 2010
- Malaysian Indians moving away from opposition alliance: Report - Apr 06, 2011
- Malay Indian voters to support Barisan Nasional - Apr 23, 2011
- Child marriage common among Indian workers - Jul 18, 2010
- Malaysian PM disapproves of protests by ethnic Indian group - Feb 28, 2011
- Libraries mooted to educate Malaysian Indians - Mar 30, 2010
- Malaysia to set up special counters to help Indians without documents - Jan 18, 2011
Tags: association president, batu caves, bhai, celebration time, forefathers, friends association, grand success, half percent, hindu shrines, indian origin, kuala lumpur, kulim, living in malaysia, memory lane, menaka, northeastern state, old friends, overwhelming response, perumal, trip down