Indian yoga guru Sri K Pattabhi Jois passes away at 93May 21st, 2009 - 12:12 pm ICT by ANI
London, May 21 (ANI): Sri K Pattabhi Jois, one of the leading figures in the world of yoga, has died. He was 93.
Jois, from India, was a yoga teacher and practitioner famous for popularizing Ashtanga yoga in the West.
Ashtanga yoga is based on synchronising the breath through a progressive series of postures.
He died in the southern Indian city of Mysore on Monday, a press statement from the K. Pattabhi Jois Ashtanga Yoga Institute said.
His many thousands of students include the pop musicians Sting and Madonna, and the actress Gwyneth Paltrow, reports The BBC.
Jois considered yoga to be a form of mind medicine.
“Ashtanga yoga is helping many people throughout the world to balance the mental, physical and spiritual pressures and stresses posed by the modern world we live in today,” he said.
Pierre Bibby, chief executive officer of the British Wheel of Yoga, said: “He was a massive influence on the development of yoga, and greatly respected.
“He did a great deal to broaden the appeal of yoga, and make it more accessible to a Western constituency.”
Born in Kowshika village in the state of Karnataka in 1915, the yoga guru began to learn the art from his teacher T. Krishnamacharya at the age of 12, a biography on his institute’s Web site said. (ANI)
- Lauding few Arizona schools for introducing yoga, Hindus urge all USA schools to launch yoga - Oct 05, 2010
- The Catholic experiment to make yoga popular - Oct 17, 2011
- 'Essence of yoga lies in sincerity, not commercialisation' (With Image) - May 11, 2012
- Yoga has "avatars" in America - Jan 10, 2011
- Beyonce, Paltrow on yoga sojourn - Mar 05, 2012
- Zed tells that yoga is a world heritage to be utilized by all - Sep 24, 2010
- Glee: Lady Gaga, Gwyneth Paltrow, Kristin Chenoweth All To Be Part Of Season 3 - Jan 10, 2011
- Yoga is HOT in Finland! - Aug 22, 2009
- Hindus laud City of Cambridge for yoga pictures on parking tickets envelopes - Sep 25, 2010
- Gwyneth Paltrow to reprise dating role in 'Glee' - Jan 11, 2011
- Many Christian churches in USA offer yoga - Nov 28, 2010
- Try flute yoga to beat stress - Jul 21, 2012
- Hindus laud Lutheran Church for offering free yoga instruction - Sep 26, 2010
- There is "Jewish Yoga" in America - Jan 31, 2011
- Gwyneth Paltrow to star in 'Glee' - Sep 22, 2010
Tags: ashtanga yoga institute, bibby, british wheel of yoga, chief executive officer, constituency, gwyneth paltrow, indian yoga, krishnamacharya, massive influence, mind medicine, mysore, pop musicians, postures, progressive series, sri k pattabhi jois, state of karnataka, stresses, wheel of yoga, yoga guru, yoga teacher