Indian women reach semi-final of Champions Challenge IIJune 22nd, 2009 - 8:23 pm ICT by IANS
Kazan (Russia), June 22 (IANS) Ritu Rani scored a hat-trick as Indian women’s team thrashed Canada 8-1 in a pool A match to book a semi-final berth in the Champions Challenge II hockey tournament here Monday.
India beat Belgium in their first match Sunday and qualified for the semi-final with two wins. They will play the last group match against Belarus Wednesday.
Ritu (54th minute, 63rd and 70th), Rani Rampal (57th, 61st), Deepika Thakur (6th), Surinder Kaur (29th) and Mamta Kharab (67th) scored for India.
India were struggling to get their act together in the first half, but found their way in the last quarter of the second half in which they slammed six goals.
Deepika opened the scoring in the 17th minute only to be equalized four minutes later by Jessalyn Walkey.
Indian skipper Surinder Kaur scored through a rebound off a penalty corner shot, six minutes before the break.
Ritu scored her first goal in 54th minute, and then there was no stopping the Indian forwards who pumped in five more goals.
The winners of the eight-nation tournament will qualify for the Champions Challenge I.
The Champions Challenge II is a new International Hockey Federation (FIH) world level event introduced to the calendar this year, featuring the teams that did not qualify for the Champions Trophy or the Champions Challenge I.
- Haryana to play Railways in women's national hockey final - Jan 29, 2011
- Indian eves win bronze in Auckland hockey tourney - Apr 22, 2012
- CWG women's hockey: India thrash Trinidad and Tobago 7-0 - Oct 08, 2010
- Railways beat UP to reach semis of senior national women's hockey - Jan 27, 2011
- Saba Anjum to lead India in Champions Challenge hockey - Jun 02, 2011
- Indian women's hockey team held 1-1 by US - Apr 13, 2012
- India beat Malaysia 4-1 in u-18 Asia Cup - Sep 22, 2011
- Indian women beat Japan 2-0 in hockey World Cup - Sep 06, 2010
- Indian women's hockey team lose 0-3 to US - Apr 18, 2012
- Women's hockey Olympic qualifier: India beat Poland 3-0 - Feb 21, 2012
- India eves in semis of Junior Asia Cup hockey - Jul 03, 2012
- Ritu to lead India in Champions Challenge 1 - Sep 10, 2012
- Indian women's hockey team lose to Argentina - Dec 15, 2011
- Women's hockey Olympic qualifier: India beat Italy - Feb 24, 2012
- India's men's and women's hockey teams chasing Olympic dream - Feb 17, 2012
Tags: berth, champions trophy, fih, forwards, four minutes, hat trick, hockey tournament, india india, indian skipper, indian women, international hockey federation, kazan russia, last quarter, nation tournament, rani, rebound, ritu, second half, six minutes, surinder kaur