Indian woman jailed in Britain for carrying fake documentsJanuary 10th, 2009 - 5:52 pm ICT by IANS
London, Jan 10 (IANS) An Indian national, Fatima Gani, has been jailed for possessing fake identity documents at her home in Tooting, London.The 42-year-old woman had illegally stayed back in the country after arriving on a holiday, the police said. Her house was raided on a tip-off.
She pleaded guilty to 17 offences of identity fraud at Kingston Crown Court and was sentenced to two years in prison.
A large number of documents, including fake and original passports, driving licences and bank documents were seized from her house.
These included three fake passports - two Indian and one Finnish - and three fake British driving licences, all carrying Gani’s photographs. Three genuine driving licences and five genuine Indian passports were also found.
Several counterfeit documents holding other people’s details were also seized, including nine counterfeit Indian passports, one counterfeit Italian passport and two Home Office application registration cards.
Further details about Gani and her background are still to be released. Acting Detective Chief Inspector Bob Hoey of the raiding party told a London newspaper, Your Local Guardian Saturday: “We welcome this result which sends out a clear message that identity fraud will not be tolerated.”
- Five arrested for fake visa-passport racket (Lead) - Feb 17, 2012
- Three held in Punjab for circulating fake currency - Oct 30, 2010
- 3 caught selling fake pen drives - Mar 25, 2011
- A factory for fake visas in Bangladesh - Sep 23, 2011
- Three held with fake currency in Rajasthan's Bharatpur - Jul 02, 2012
- Bangladeshi held with photocopy of Indian passport in Meghalaya - May 13, 2012
- Getting real about killer fakes in air (Comment) - Mar 24, 2011
- Fake currency seized in Rajasthan - Jun 16, 2012
- Polish woman held with fake visa - Jan 09, 2012
- Policeman arrested for okaying passport for Pakistan spy? - Nov 17, 2009
- Compensate migrant Indian worker wrongly deported: Court - May 15, 2011
- London bank directors to be sentenced for 'turning blind eye' to criminal's deposits - Mar 04, 2011
- Made in India, faked in China -- $5-bn loss - Jan 01, 2012
- Pakistani spy had licence, voter ID card: police (Lead) - Jul 13, 2010
- Indian trio in Scotland invent device to identify fake whisky - Nov 03, 2011