Indian student Nitin Garg was ‘chased twice before’ death in MelbourneOctober 21st, 2010 - 12:38 pm ICT by ANI
Melbourne, Oct 21(ANI): Indian accountancy graduate Nitin Garg, who was killed in Melbourne earlier this year, was threatened and chased on at least two other occasions before his death, a court has been told.
Twenty-one-year-old Garg was stabbed to death as he walked to work in Yarraville in January.
The prosecutor said that one of Garg’s workmates had told police about an incident last year in which the student was threatened and pursued by a stranger, the Age reports.
He said that the stranger had gone to the restaurant in April or May 2009 looking for Garg.
Meanwhile, a 16-year-old boy, who has been arrested for Garg’s murder, appeared in a Children’s Court on Thursday, and was charged with one count of murder.
Homicide Squad detectives had arrested the 16-year-old boy from Yarraville in June.
A 15-year-old boy has also been arrested and produced at a Children’s Court for Garg’s murder.
Garg was walking through Cruickshank Park, in Melbourne’s west, to his place of work at a Yarraville Hungry Jack’s outlet soon after 9.30 p.m. on January 2, when he was stabbed.
He staggered to the fast food outlet, at the corner of Somerville and Geelong roads, and died a short time later.
He was not robbed and his belongings were left scattered in the park where he was murdered.
His murder had triggered angry protests in India over the safety of students in Australia. (ANI)
- Oz teen arrested for murder of Indian Nitin Garg - Jun 17, 2010
- Oz teenager pleads guilty of being accessory to murder of Indian student Nitin Garg - Oct 22, 2010
- Another Oz teen charged over murder of Nitin Garg - Jun 18, 2010
- Second Australian teenager held for killing Indian - Jun 18, 2010
- Australian teenager held for killing Indian - Jun 17, 2010
- Australian teenager held for killing Indian (Lead) - Jun 17, 2010
- Indian student chased twice before being killed in Australia - Oct 21, 2010
- Oz teen pleads guilty to Indian student Nitin Garg's murder - Apr 20, 2011
- Australian teenager held for killing Indian (Second Lead) - Jun 17, 2010
- Another Australian boy pleads guilty to Indian's murder - Oct 22, 2010
- Australian police step up probe into Garg murder - Jan 24, 2010
- Oz police replicate Nitin Garg's final moments to help nab his killers - Jan 24, 2010
- Australian police to reconstruct Indian's fatal stabbing - Jan 23, 2010
- Australian teen gets 13-year jail for killing Indian student - Dec 22, 2011
- Housemates of murdered Indian student Nitin Garg return to India from 'unsafe' Oz - Feb 24, 2010
Tags: accountancy, angry protests, australia, belongings, detectives, fast food, food outlet, garg, geelong, homicide squad, hungry jack, India, melbourne melbourne, nitin, occasions, prosecutor, short time, stranger, workmates, yarraville