Indian origin woman in Thailand’s richest listJuly 11th, 2008 - 9:36 pm ICT by IANS
New York, July 11 (IANS) A 28-year-old Indian origin businesswoman has made it to the list of the 40 richest people in Thailand compiled by the Forbes magazine. Nishita Shah, managing director of diversified GP Group, and her family are ranked 19th with a net worth of $375 million. At 28, she is the youngest among the richest in the Southeast Asian country.
A citation for her by the US business magazine says Shah is the biggest shareholder and director in dry-bulk shipper Precious Shipping, founded by her father Kirit. A licensed pilot, Shah is single and also runs a clothier company called Burn Baby and is launching her own fashion label, Nsha, in three continents at the end of the year.
Leading the Forbes list is beverage maker Chaleo Yoovidhya with a net worth of $4 billion, followed by beermaker Charoen Sirivadhanabhakdi ($3.9 billion), and the Chirathivat family ($2.8 billion), who have interests in retail, property and hotels.
Former Thailand prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra returns to the list at 16th place with his family with a net worth of $400 million. He was ousted as premier in a 2006 coup, and avoided corruption charges by moving to Britain.
Thai authorities froze $2 billion in assets, largely from his family’s sale of Shin Corp, the telecom company he founded. He bought Britain’s Manchester City football club in 2007 and returned to Bangkok in February after the election of a pro-Thaksin government.
- Thai Indian entrepreneur's wealth soars by 252 percent - Sep 02, 2010
- `Red Bull' creator is dead - Mar 17, 2012
- Indian origin Nishita Shah among Next Gen billionaires - Aug 21, 2008
- Lakshmi Mittal replaces Mukesh Ambani as world's richest Indian - Mar 10, 2011
- Kathy Ireland named world's richest model - Feb 24, 2012
- Australian woman may become richest in world - Jun 28, 2011
- Nishita Shah joins the worlds next generation billionaires with a net worth of $375 million - Aug 21, 2008
- Mukesh Ambani richest among 48 Indian billionaires - Mar 08, 2012
- Mexico's Carlos Slim tops Forbes' richest list - Mar 08, 2012
- Sean Parker tipped a waitress $5000 - Oct 04, 2011
- Two IITians among 400 richest Americans - Sep 22, 2011
- Indian business tycoon Mukesh Ambani to be world's richest man in 2014, Forbes predicts - Sep 13, 2010
- China billionaire rich list grows to 49 more - Oct 29, 2010
- Nishita Shah, Tiger, PayPal co-founder queue up to be on Forbes' billionaires list - Aug 21, 2008
- Kathy Ireland is the world's richest supermodel - Feb 27, 2012
Tags: charoen sirivadhanabhakdi, city football club, clothier company, corruption charges, fashion label, forbes list, forbes magazine, indian origin, manchester city football, manchester city football club, nsha, prime minister thaksin, prime minister thaksin shinawatra, shin corp, southeast asian country, telecom company, thai authorities, thailand prime minister, thaksin shinawatra, three continents