Indian-origin woman dies of rabies in BritainMay 29th, 2012 - 8:11 pm ICT by IANS
London, May 29 (IANS) An Indian-origin woman in Britain has died after contracting rabies due to a dog-bite she suffered while visiting India.
The woman, in her 50s and from London, died over the weekend in an isolation unit. She had been bitten by a puppy nine weeks ago, The Sun reported.
After returning to Britain, the woman visited her doctor May 14 and called at a hospital for next two days. She was referred to Queen Elizabeth Hospital in south London.
Tests confirmed rabies. She was taken to University College Hospital’s intensive care unit to be nursed in isolation.
A spokesman said: “We regret to announce a patient being treated for rabies died over the weekend. Our sincere condolences go to the family.”
She was with her husband at the time of dog attack. It is yet unknown if the husband is considered at risk.
In the last decade, only one person in Britain has died from rabies contracted abroad. It was eradicated in the country over a century ago, the report said.
- Another man dies of rabies in Andhra - May 19, 2011
- Man kills puppy with hammer - May 04, 2012
- 1.4 bn at rabies risk in Southeast Asia: WHO - Sep 27, 2011
- Andhra rights panel seeks report after girl dies of dog bite - May 05, 2011
- Dog bite kills two in Andhra Pradesh - May 26, 2011
- Rabies deaths rattle Andhra - Jun 04, 2011
- Over 2,800 mailmen bitten by dogs in US - Jun 18, 2010
- Mum saves kids by pinning down attacking dog - Aug 24, 2011
- Woman who trained Obama family dog Bo dies aged 52 - Jan 16, 2011
- Women dies after being bitten by rats - Jul 23, 2011
- First death recorded in US by vampire bat's bite - Aug 13, 2011
- Swarm of bees stings dog to death - Jul 15, 2011
- Rabies outbreak death toll reaches 100 in Indonesia's Bali - Oct 15, 2010
- Battered baby Falak dies of cardiac arrest (Third Lead) - Mar 16, 2012
- Woman sues airline for killing her pet dog - Jan 10, 2012
Tags: 50s, britain london, dog bite, indian origin, intensive care unit, isolation unit, last decade, nine weeks, puppy, queen elizabeth, queen elizabeth hospital, rabies, risk, sincere condolences, south london, spokesman, sun, visiting india