Indian-origin teenager found dead in canalJanuary 27th, 2009 - 2:42 pm ICT by IANS
London, Jan 27 (IANS) Missing Indian-origin teenager Jonathan Marques has been found dead, his body pulled out of a canal Monday in his hometown of Reading. Police divers pulled out the body from sluice gates of the Kennet and Avon Canal in the southeastern town of Reading, around 70 km from here.
The 15-year-old Goan schoolboy had been missing since Jan 6, sparking a huge hunt by the local Berkshire and other police forces, as well as his family and friends.
With his parents too distraught to speak, family friend Evan Correio said: “We are all so sad… We were all expecting Jonathan to come back. We didn’t expect this.”
Jonathan’s mother Arcanja collapsed when the news was broken to her and husband Menino just after midday Monday.
Jonathan, who had failed to turn up at school Jan 6, was found in his school uniform and wearing his rucksack.
His family and friends from the Goan community in Reading, as well as the local media, have been at the forefront of the search for him, organising a march along the route, handing out leaflets and holding church services to pray for his safe return.
A Facebook group set up by the Reading Evening Post newspaper helped widen the search by attracting more than 3,000 members worldwide.
On Saturday, volunteers were in the Broad Street Mall in Reading in an attempt to jog people’s memories.
Detective Chief Inspector Stan Gilmour said Monday: “Jonathan’s family have been informed of the discovery. It is clearly a distressing time for them and we continue to have dedicated family liaison officer in place to assist them.”
The body has been sent for a post-mortem.
- Body in canal is that of missing Indian teenager: police - Jan 29, 2009
- Missing Indian boy in London? - Jan 23, 2009
- Indian teenager's body to be flown to Goa Saturday - Jan 30, 2009
- Woman rides wheelchair over two miles to kill herself - Feb 26, 2012
- Murdered Brit Indian teen's family says void has been created in their lives - Jan 21, 2010
- Slain Brit-Indian girl's ex-boyfriend charged for her murder - Jan 24, 2010
- Juliani Cardenas' Alleged Kidnapper's Car Found - Jan 29, 2011
- Indian-origin teenage stabbed to death in UK - Jan 20, 2010
- Police search for Punjab minister's missing secretary - Jul 06, 2010
- Policeman's body found in Delhi canal - Jul 27, 2012
- Berkshire boy being questioned over Brit Indian teen's murder - Jan 20, 2010
- Thousands gather for stabbed Brit-Pakistani Asha Muneer's funeral - Jan 29, 2010
- At 85, cartoonist Mario Miranda exits life's canvas - Dec 11, 2011
- Cristiano Ronaldo becomes father, mother's identity secret - Jul 04, 2010
- Five more bodies found on wrecked Italian ship - Jan 18, 2012
Tags: broad street mall, chief inspector, detective chief, family friend, family liaison officer, friend evan, gilmour, goan community, handing out leaflets, indian origin, kennet and avon, kennet and avon canal, london jan, police forces, reading evening post, reading police, safe return, school uniform, sluice gates, town of reading