Indian-origin teenager drowns while saving cousinJuly 16th, 2010 - 4:09 pm ICT by IANS
London, July 16 (IANS) An Indian-origin teenager drowned during a family holiday when she tried to rescue her cousin from a drifting boat in a lake in Britain.
Fifteen-year-old Kajil Devi was at the Cotswold Water Park in Gloucestershire when she slipped in a bathing area at about 3.45 p.m. Sunday, Daily Mail reported Friday.
A rope was thrown, but she fell again and disappeared under water.
Kajil, of Hanworth, south west London, was dragged out of the lake by a lifeguard. She received emergency care and was taken to Great Western Hospital in Swindon. She died the next day.
Kajil’s brother, Amid Kumar, said: “My mum and dad just can’t take it in. She sacrificed herself to save my cousin, she saved that little kid’s life. She could have gone to ask someone for help but that’s the thing about caring people, they don’t think they just do it.”
Ben Greenaway, who was sitting on the nearby beach, was quoted as saying: “It was a horrible experience - one of the worst things I have seen.”
“I was sitting on the shore with my daughter and this family called the lifeguards over saying they could not find her. About five minutes later a couple of children dragged a body out of the lake right where my daughter was playing.”
Kajil’s Hindu family held a ceremony at a temple in Southall, west London, Wednesday.
- Indian-origin student shot dead in Toronto - May 31, 2011
- Five-year-old finds 160 million-year-old fossil - Mar 18, 2011
- 3 Russians saved from drowning off Goa beach - Sep 10, 2012
- South African beach dubbed world's deadliest - Jan 16, 2012
- Brit girl, 5, digs up 160 million-year-old fossil with plastic seaside spade - Mar 18, 2011
- Lily Allen sends out farmer-themed wedding invites - Mar 30, 2011
- Kate Moss to pen autobiography - Jul 29, 2011
- Two cousins drown in Navi Mumbai lake - Jul 26, 2012
- No recognition for Agra lifeguard who saved 50 lives (With Image) - May 23, 2012
- Drogba to run in Olympic torch relay - May 23, 2012
- Off season? No, off to Goa for 'raindrop tourism' (With Image) - Jun 16, 2011
- Elderly father dies while saving drowning daughter - Jul 16, 2011
- Honour killing: Man held for daughter's murder - Jul 16, 2011
- Humphries' ex-girlfriend accuses Kardashian - Jul 18, 2012
- Madonna impresses beau's mom - Sep 03, 2011
Tags: cotswold water park, cousin, daily mail, drifting boat, emergency care, family holiday, gloucestershire, greenaway, hindu family, horrible experience, indian origin, kajil, lifeguard, lifeguards, mum and dad, nearby beach, south west london, swindon, temple in southall, water park