Indian-origin NY boy enters Scripps National Spelling Bee final roundJune 4th, 2010 - 6:06 pm ICT by ANI
New York, June 04 (ANI): Indian origin boy Arvind Mahankali, 10, of Queens, New York has entered the decisive round of the Scripps National Spelling Bee.
The fifth-grader from the Forest Hills Montessori School spelled “manciple” (servant or steward) and “pergelisol” (similar to permafrost) to land himself a spot in the next league.
Arvind’s competitor, Thomas Dumbach, 14, of Whitestone, Queens, an eighth-grader at Hunter College High School in Manhattan, also spelled his two words correctly.
However, he was eliminated on the basis of total points from an earlier written test.
“I knew them both. I feel really happy,” the New York Daily News quoted Mahankali, as saying.
He added: “I prepared a lot, I read a lot and my parents helped me a lot.” (ANI)
- Sukanya Roy wins America's coveted spelling bee crown (Lead) - Jun 03, 2011
- Three Indian-American kids in Spelling Bee finals - Jun 01, 2012
- Indian-American Snigdha Nandipati is Spelling Bee champ (Lead) - Jun 01, 2012
- Indian-American wins US spelling contest for fifth year running (Third Lead) - Jun 01, 2012
- Snigdha Nandipati wins fifth Spelling Bee crown for Indian-Americans (Second Lead) - Jun 01, 2012
- Scripps National Spelling Bee 2009 final - May 29, 2009
- Virginian 6-year-old Lori Anne Madison makes Spelling Bee history - Jun 01, 2012
- Kavya Shivashankar, Scripps National Spelling Bee 2009 winner quits - May 29, 2009
- Mrs 'O', how does your garden grow? - Oct 31, 2010
- NYC teacher with foot fetish accused of having sex with underage student - Oct 22, 2010
- Anti-abortion "fetus dolls" handed out in Virginia elementary school - May 29, 2010
- Bronx teen crowned NY's bookworm for plowing through 325 novels in 3 months - Sep 03, 2010
- Eight-year-old boy sells gun to classmate for $3.50 - Apr 30, 2011
- Spelling Bee Goes to 7th Grader - Mar 04, 2009
- Brown to read at Harlem school despite conviction for beating up Rihanna - Mar 05, 2010
Tags: arvind, competitor, eighth grader, fifth grader, forest hills, hunter college high school, indian origin, manhattan, montessori school, national spelling bee, new york daily news, parents, queens new york, scripps national spelling bee, servant, steward, whitestone queens, written test, york daily news