Indian-origin Hiren Mohini’s suspected killer has left country: New Zealand PoliceFebruary 28th, 2010 - 12:16 pm ICT by ANI
Auckland, Feb 28(ANI): New Zealand Police believes the chief suspect whom they have identified as the killer of Indian-origin taxi driver Hiren Mohini in Auckland has left the country.
Police are not commenting on where the man is, who is believed to be Chinese national, but it is understood that they have approached Chinese authorities.
Under international conventions, New Zealand police officers will have to seek the permission of Chinese Police to travel to China, something that could take months.
Four weeks ago, Mohini, a 39-year-old Mount Roskill resident, was stabbed to death in his cab by a frenzied customer for the sake of a 20-dollar fare.
“We believe he is overseas and we are working with the appropriate agencies to locate him,” Stuff.co.nz quoted Detective Senior Sergeant Hywel Jones, investigation head, as saying.
They had earlier released footage of a man they are hunting two weeks ago.
It is believed that Mohini, a husband and father of two, picked up his attacker at the central Sky City taxi stand before traveling the short distance to View Rd in Mt Eden. He later pushed the panic button in his cab, sending an emergency alert across the whole Auckland Co-Op network.
Witnesses claim that a young male was seen running towards Esplanade Road immediately after the crash.
The man they are seeking was described as a slim-built, dark-skinned male in his mid to late twenties with long, greasy hair to the back of his neck.
He was wearing a long-sleeved button-up shirt, dark denim jeans and black leather shoes and was carrying a black bag with a strap. (ANI)
- NZ police spread ambit of hunt for Indian-origin taxi driver's killer - Feb 02, 2010
- Knife used for murder Indian-origin taxi driver in Auckland found - Feb 01, 2010
- New Zealand police issue photo of Indian-origin taxi driver's suspected killer - Feb 06, 2010
- Inquiry launched into Indian-origin taxi driver's death in Auckland - Jan 31, 2010
- India-origin taxi driver's death in Auckland an "unimaginable and unfathomable event" - Feb 04, 2010
- Indian-origin cabbie Hiren Mohini's widow 'confused' whether to attend trial in China - Jan 14, 2011
- Auckland cabbie Hiren Mohini's murder suspect nabbed in China - Jun 14, 2010
- Indian taxi driver Hiren Mohini's killer may have fled NZ: Kiwi police - Feb 14, 2010
- Auckland cabbie Hiren Mohini's murder suspect may never stand trial: Kiwi lawyer - Jun 15, 2010
- Auckland cabbie Hiren Mohini's murder suspect likely to stand trial in China - Aug 23, 2010
- Indian-origin taxi driver Mohini's killer's identification provides solace to his widow - Mar 01, 2010
- Knife used in Indian's fatal stabbing in New Zealand found - Feb 01, 2010
- Auckland cabbie Hiren Mohini's wife wants to confront murder suspect - Dec 26, 2010
- Auckland cabbie Hiren Mohini's murder suspect likely to be tried in China - Jun 19, 2010
- New Zealand raise 100,000 dollars for slain Indian-origin cabbie Mohini's family - Apr 14, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,