Indian military experts develop grenade using world’s hottest chilliMarch 24th, 2010 - 12:48 pm ICT by ANI
London, March 24 (ANI): Indian military experts in Assam have developed a grenade made using the world’s hottest chilli, which is more than 1,000 times stronger than the average cooking spice.
According to a report in The Sun, the researchers have developed the new crowd control grenade packed with ground seeds from the bhut jolokia chilli, which is found in Assam.
It is officially recognised as the hottest on the planet by Guinness World Records.
When deployed, the grenade showers the targets with a dust so spicy that in trials subjects were blinded for hours and left with breathing problems.
“The chilli grenade is a non-toxic weapon and when used would force a terrorist to come out of his hideout,” said lead scientist R.B. Srivastava from India’s Defence Research and Development Organisation.
“The effect is so pungent that it would literally choke them,” he added.
The hotness of the bhut jolokia, which is native to Assam, in north-east India, is measured in Scoville heat units and comes in at a massive 1,001,304, which is nearly twice as hot as Mexico’s red savina that used to hold the record at 577,000.
The average jalapeno measures at about 10,000.
Researchers in India have also come up with some other ingenious uses for the chilli.
According to Srivastava, “There are other applications as well, what we call women power. A specially made chilli powder could act as a tool for women to keep away anti-socials and work in this regard is also on.”
The department has come up with another plan to rub the chilli powder on the fences around army barracks.
“The chilli paste could also act as a major repellent against wild elephants,” Srivastava said. (ANI)
- The chilli hand grenade is ready to explode! - Mar 18, 2010
- Chili bomb to become part of defence armoury - Jun 27, 2009
- Paint-peeling Naga Viper chili pepper set to become world's spiciest - Dec 05, 2010
- 'Monster of chillies' could set a new world record - Sep 10, 2010
- Now, a chilli bomb to smoke out insurgents, rioters - Aug 16, 2009
- Assamese woman munches world's hottest chillies, sets record - Apr 10, 2009
- Naga Viper Named World's Hottest Chili Pepper - Dec 05, 2010
- Globe's Hottest Chili To Serve The Indian Armed Forces - Mar 24, 2010
- Hottest chili pepper in the world is Naga Viper - Dec 06, 2010
- World's hottest chilli is 'hot enough to strip paint' - Oct 21, 2010
- Grenades With Chili 'Bhut Jolokia' All Set To Be Used Against Terrorists - Mar 19, 2010
- World's hottest chilli grown in UK can leave one 'shaking uncontrollably' - Feb 18, 2011
- Hottest Chili 'Bhut Jolokia' To Be Used In Grenades - Mar 24, 2010
- Scottish butcher claims his 'Devil's Sausage' is world's hottest - Apr 16, 2011
- Brits 'craving for food 400 times hotter than what used to be in the 1960s' - Aug 04, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,