Indian man robbed in ChinaApril 26th, 2011 - 2:06 pm ICT by IANS
Shanghai, April 26 (IANS) An Indian national working with a Shanghai firm was robbed of jewellery and luxury watches worth over $40,000 by a fake furniture moving company, a court has heard.
Chen Tao, 30, registered a furniture removal company online using the name of a well-known Shanghai firm, despite having no connections with the named company.
The unnamed Indian man working in Shanghai’s Jing’an district booked a deal with Chen to transport his belongings to another place, the district people’s court was told.
On Oct 1 last year, Chen and three other staff went to the Indian’s home, where he stole a purse from an unlocked safe in the bedroom, Shanghai Daily reported.
The purse contained over 20 luxury items, including two watches, five rings, nine pairs of earrings and five necklaces.
The belongings were worth around 270,000 yuan (approximately $41,435).
Chen left after “orchestrating” a dispute over the price of the job.
The theft was noticed shortly afterwards.
After police were alerted, Chen asked a friend to return the goods and surrendered to officials.
Chen was Monday jailed for three years for stealing. He was also given five years’ probation and ordered to pay a fine of 140,000 yuan.
The court said it gave Chen a lenient sentence as he had returned the stolen items and because it was his first offence.
- $8 mn burglary exposes corrupt Chinese official - Dec 22, 2011
- Shanghai district official sentenced to 16 years in prison over deadly high-rise fire - Aug 02, 2011
- Chinese retailer fined over $200,000 for duping customers - Dec 23, 2011
- Compensation announced for Shanghai fire victims - Nov 24, 2010
- Chinese love Swiss watches - Feb 05, 2012
- 16-year jail for official in Shanghai fire incident - Aug 02, 2011
- A royal scratch that would cost her $29,800 - Feb 08, 2012
- Six Chinese jailed for cheating American - Mar 12, 2012
- Nearly 400 officials probed for graft in Shanghai - Dec 31, 2011
- China"s largest search engine, Baidu fined for providing access to woman's porn pics - Jul 03, 2010
- Chinese man compensated for auction fraud - Jul 26, 2012
- Chinese man sentenced to death for gold robbery - Jun 10, 2011
- 26 held responsible for Shanghai inferno - Jun 25, 2011
- Eight dead in Shanghai building fire - Nov 15, 2010
- Man robs gold shop with fake gun - Sep 30, 2011
Tags: belongings, chen tao, china shanghai, earrings, first offence, five rings, furniture removal, indian man, jewellery, lenient sentence, luxury items, luxury watches, moving company, necklaces, pairs, probation, purse, tao, working in shanghai, yuan