Indian kidnapped in Philippines escapes, to return home (Lead)August 10th, 2012 - 8:10 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 10 (IANS) The government Friday said an Indian from Kerala, who was kidnapped by the Abu Sayyaf militant group in the Philippines in June 2011 and was believed to have been killed, has escaped from his captors.
Biju Kolara Veetil, an Indian national, is now with the police in the Sulu province of the Philippines, Syed Akbaruddin, spokesperson of the external affairs ministry, said here.
“Indian officials are in touch with him and the local authorities so as to facilitate his early return to India,” he said.
Veetil was found on the streets of Patikul town, according to Antonio Freyra, police chief of Sulu province. Earlier, Freyera had told reporters that Veetil had been killed by the militant group.
However, Veetil’s wife Elena had maintained that her husband was safe in the custody of the Abu Sayyaf Group. Veetil’s relatives had approached the external affairs ministry and Defence Minister A.K. Antony seeking their intervention.
It is not clear if any ransom was paid. The kidnappers had demanded about 300,000 pesos ($7,100) in ransom, but his family refused to pay.
The Abu Sayyaf Group, one of the most violent Islamic separatist groups in the southern Philippines, has been pitching for an independent Islamic state in western Mindanao and the Sulu archipelago in the Philippines.
The group is known for kidnapping foreign nationals and demanding heavy ransom for them.
- Indian kidnapped in Philippines set free - Aug 10, 2012
- Indian who dodged Philippine rebels to return by Tuesday - Aug 11, 2012
- Top Philippine rebel captured - Mar 14, 2012
- Biju comes home from the forests of Philippines - Aug 19, 2012
- Five militants killed in Philippines - Nov 03, 2009
- Philippines claims major victory over militant group - Feb 22, 2010
- At least 7 killed when troops and militants clash in Philippines - Feb 14, 2011
- Militants kill three hostages in Philippines - Jun 12, 2010
- Militants behead hostage in Philippines - May 18, 2009
- Southern Philippine rebels clash and kill 12 soldiers - Jul 28, 2012
- Kidnapped principal beheaded in the Philippines - Nov 09, 2009
- Militants kill 13 in Philippines - Feb 27, 2010
- 11 killed in militant attack in Philippines (Lead) - Feb 27, 2010
- Over 40 killed in Philippines fighting - Aug 13, 2009
- Islamic militants release two captive soldiers in Philippines - Jun 13, 2008
Tags: abu sayyaf group, antony, defence minister, external affairs ministry, foreign nationals, indian officials, islamic state, kidnappers, kolara, local authorities, militant group, police chief, province of the philippines, ransom, return to india, separatist groups, southern philippines, sulu archipelago, western mindanao, wife elena