Indian honeymoon killer resists extradition to South AfricaDecember 14th, 2011 - 7:58 pm ICT by IANS
London, Dec 14 (IANS) The life of Indian-origin businessman Shrien Dewani, suspected of ordering the murder of his wife during their honeymoon, would be at risk if he is extradited to South Africa for his trial, his lawyer has claimed.
The 31-year-old Dewani denies masterminding the murder of 28-year-old wife Anni on their honeymoon in Cape Town in November last year.
Dewani, who has been detained under the Mental Health Act, would suffer “inhumane and degrading treatment” in prison in South Africa and might commit suicide, his lawyer was quoted as saying by The Sun.
The Indian-origin businessman from Bristol has been diagnosed with post-traumatic stress disorder and depression.
Barrister Clare Montgomery told the high court that Dewani was being detained because it was feared he might kill himself if allowed to go free.
His “fragile” mental condition would get worse if he is extradited, Montgomery said.
Anni was shot dead after the taxi she and her husband were travelling in was hijacked near Cape Town.
- Anni Dewani's South African killer gets 25 years jail - Aug 08, 2012
- Anni Dewani case: Opposing psychiatrists are partners - Sep 02, 2012
- Honeymoon murder: Shrien Dewani to be extradited to South Africa - Aug 10, 2011
- Brit-Indian honeymooner arrested following heated argument in London clinic - Apr 12, 2011
- Anni Dewani seen happy before her murder: Report - Mar 31, 2012
- Husband plotted Indian woman's murder with text messages - Jul 12, 2011
- Dewani murder case: Accused husband attempts suicide - Feb 22, 2011
- Brit-Indian honeymooner thrown out of London clinic after hurling plate at patient's door - Apr 13, 2011
- Brit-Indian honeymooner's 'fragile' mental health worries pals - Jan 23, 2011
- Proceedings to continue against "stressed" Brit-Indian honeymooner over wife's murder case - Jan 22, 2011
- Indian woman's honeymoon murder: Police think hubby is gay - Jul 11, 2011
- Honeymoon murder victim was worried, says her father - Jan 03, 2011
- Honeymoon murder: Indian origin accused held for violent outburst - Apr 12, 2011
- Brit-Indian honeymooner being held at Bristol clinic under Mental Health Act - Apr 21, 2011
- Extradition case date set for Brit-Indian honeymooner Dewani over wife's murder - Feb 09, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,