Indian frigate sails for sea trials in RussiaMay 24th, 2012 - 7:54 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, May 24 (IANS/RIA Novosti) A Talwar-class frigate being built for the Indian Navy at the Yantar Shipyard in Russia’s Kaliningrad exclave departed Thursday for sea trials.
The Tarkash is the second in a series of three frigates built under a $1.6-billion contract with India.
The first frigate, the Teg, was delivered to India in April 2012, while the third, the Trikand, is still under construction.
“The warship sailed from Kaliningrad to Baltiysk on Thursday. The first stage of sea trials is scheduled to start at the end of May,” Yantar spokesman Sergei Mikhailov said.
The spokesman said the frigate would be ready for delivery to the Indian Navy in October.
The new frigates are each armed with eight BrahMos supersonic cruise missiles.
They are also equipped with a 100-mm gun, a Shtil surface-to-air missile system, two Kashtan air-defence gun or missile systems, two twin 533-mm torpedo launchers and an anti-submarine warfare helicopter.
Russia has previously built three Talwar class frigates for India — the INS Talwar, INS Trishul and INS Tabar.
- Russia completes final trials of Indian frigate - Feb 08, 2012
- Russia to float out frigate for Indian Navy Nov 27 - Nov 18, 2009
- Russian-built, BrahMos-fitted frigate set for Indian Navy induction - Dec 16, 2011
- India's new frigate INS Teg to be inducted April 27 - Apr 20, 2012
- Russia behind schedule on Indian frigates delivery - Jul 02, 2011
- INS Teg warship inducted into Indian Navy - Apr 27, 2012
- Russia unveils anti-missile radar in Kaliningrad - Nov 29, 2011
- US, Russia, Norway to hold joint naval drills - Aug 23, 2012
- Russian shipyard seeks $60 mn loan to complete Indian frigates - Aug 06, 2009
- Russia to supply more Krivak-class warships to India - Feb 05, 2009
- Russia will counter US missile defence: Medvedev - Feb 22, 2012
- US vows to go ahead with missile shield - May 11, 2012
- Russia wants missile defence guarantees - Jun 02, 2012
- Russia leader wants pot, prostitution made legal - Jan 20, 2012
- Russia to deploy S-400 air defence systems near borders - Feb 14, 2012
Tags: air defence, class frigates, cruise missiles, exclave, frigate, indian navy, ins trishul, kaliningrad, kashtan, missile system, missile systems, ria novosti, russia moscow, sea trials, sergei mikhailov, submarine warfare, surface to air, surface to air missile, tarkash, warship