Indian, European drug makers call for greater cooperationSeptember 24th, 2008 - 7:06 pm ICT by IANS
Brussels, Sep 24 (IANS) A conference of Indian and European pharmaceutical companies held here has called for sustainable cooperation between European and Indian drug manufacturers on issues related to intellectual property rights and sharing of information, Asia News reported Wednesday.The conference, held Sep 21 and 22 under the auspices of Brussels-based Europe India Chamber of Commerce, brought together government officials and representatives of major pharma companies from Europe and India.
Speaking to AsiaNews, secretary general of the Chamber Sunil Prasad said the conference examined the issues connected with intellectual property rights and ways to develop sustainable cooperation between European and Indian drug manufacturers.
Speakers identified a number of challenges that India and Europe face in the fast changing pharma sector and insisted on exchange of information and experience, development in research and innovation and joint venture on products of generics.
The European pharma companies observed that despite Indian government’s decision to bring its laws into conformity with the World Trade Organization, concerns persist among global drug makers in general and European ones in particular over the lack of intellectual property protection, lax restrictions on parallel trade and regulatory uncertainty.
He added that there is a lack of information in Europe about the recent developments in regulatory mechanism and patent formation in India.
Prasad also said that new alliances between pharma companies in Europe and India will go a long way in transforming India’s role in drug discovery and may change the way multinationals partner with companies in other Asian countries.
- Belgium to host major Indian business meet - Nov 02, 2011
- Brussels to host Europe-India pharmaceutical conference - Sep 20, 2008
- 'EU-India free trade top priority for Britain' - Nov 11, 2011
- Trade pact with EU won't impact pharma industry: India - Dec 10, 2010
- Debt crisis in EU states will impact Indian exports - May 30, 2010
- Manufacturing ecosystem, uniform tax rate for handsets called for - Nov 02, 2011
- India to have national intellectual property rights strategy - Apr 26, 2012
- India-EU trade deal threatens access to life saving drugs - Mar 23, 2011
- India-EU close in on trade pact - Dec 10, 2010
- Cancer drug: Natco Pharma told to file reply by Aug 25 - Aug 21, 2012
- EU-India free trade talks reach decisive moment: Official - Dec 09, 2010
- Italy to host India business meeting in June - May 03, 2011
- Delhi to get patents centre for small and medium units - Apr 25, 2012
- Invest in Indian infrastructure: Kamal Nath to Europe - Oct 13, 2011
- US companies operating in India awarded - Feb 08, 2011
Tags: asianews, companies in europe, european pharmaceutical companies, india chamber of commerce, intellectual property protection, parallel trade, pharma companies, regulatory mechanism, regulatory uncertainty, world trade organization