Indian envoy seeks direct flights to CambodiaJuly 24th, 2012 - 1:28 pm ICT by IANS
Phnom Penh, July 24 (IANS) India’s Ambassador Dinesh K. Patnaik pledged Tuesday to urge Indian airlines to operate direct flights to Cambodia in order to boost bilateral relations in trade, investment and tourism.
The ambassador made the remarks during a meeting with Cambodian Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Hor Namhong, reported Xinhua.
He said in his diplomatic term he would do all his best to encourage Indian investors to do business here in rice mills, tourism and mining.
Hor Namhong said Cambodia and India have had a good and long-standing diplomatic relation and expressed hope that the ambassador’s mission would deepen the bilateral ties.
The relations in trade, investment and tourism between Cambodia and India are still relatively small.
According to Koy Kuong, spokesperson for Cambodia’s foreign affairs ministry, the two-way trade volume last year was $86 million, up 43 percent from a year earlier.
In terms of investment, the country last year received only $6.3 million from India in a single project of rice processing factory, whilst in tourism, some 15,000 Indians travelled to Cambodia, up 15 percent.
- Indian trade promotion office opens in Cambodia - Sep 02, 2012
- Scope exists for expanding modest Indo-Cambodian economic ties: Patil - Sep 15, 2010
- Cambodia and Thailand agree to remove troops from disputed border - Sep 16, 2011
- US to give $35 mn to Cambodia - Oct 25, 2011
- President Patil receives traditional welcome in Cambodia - Sep 14, 2010
- Prez Patil meets Cambodian PM, India extends 15 million dollar credit - Sep 14, 2010
- ASEAN-India officials meet in Cambodia - May 27, 2012
- India to help Cambodia to build human resources - Sep 14, 2010
- India to set up chair for Buddhist studies in Cambodia - Jul 04, 2011
- President Patil to visit Laos and Cambodia - Sep 07, 2010
- Patil donates Rs.1.1 crore to India-Cambodia Friendship School - Sep 15, 2010
- Oil, gas, mineral, exploration potential with Cambodia huge: Patil - Sep 18, 2010
- Patil arrives in Cambodia to boost ties (Lead) - Sep 13, 2010
- Cambodia deports Uighur asylum seekers back to China - Dec 20, 2009
- President Patil asks PIO and NRIs to project correct image of India - Sep 13, 2010
Tags: ambassador, bilateral relations, bilateral ties, cambodia phnom penh, deputy prime minister, dinesh, direct flights, foreign affairs ministry, foreign minister, hor namhong, India, indian airlines, indian envoy, indian investors, indians, rice mills, spokesperson, trade investment, trade volume, xinhua