Indian doctor held for sexually abusing patients in CanadaJune 29th, 2008 - 2:17 pm ICT by IANS
Vancouver, June 29 (IANS) An Indian-origin doctor in Canada’s Grande Prairie city has been charged with sexually abusing his patients over many years, police said. Forty-eight-year-old Palaniswami Easwara Murthi was arrested Thursday and charged with sexually exploiting minor and young patients, five counts of sexual assault and two counts of assault.
A family doctor, Murthi has been running a clinic in Grande Prairie near here with an Indian woman doctor since 2001.
According to the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP), the allegations of sexual exploitation against him date back to the first year he started his practice in the city.
Among his victims were a girl, a boy and adults in their 30s, the RCMP added.
Murthi was released with the condition that he will not contact any of his alleged victims. He appears in court Monday to face formal charges in the first such case involving an Indian-origin doctor in Canada.
Even as Murthi faces jail for his crimes, he may also be stripped of his practicing licence by the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Alberta.
“We need to have some details with which to make a decision and we need to take it to our investigation chairman who would make a declaration of that,” Trevor Theman of the college told Canadian media.
He said the college will “act as quickly as we believe necessary to ensure that the public is protected”.
With a population of over 50,000, Grande Prairie is one of the fastest growing cities in the province of Alberta.
- Sexual grooming of white girls an Asian problem: Official - Jun 08, 2012
- Indo-Canadian doctor held on drugging, rape charges - Feb 21, 2011
- Indian-origin doctor jailed for rape in Australia - Nov 17, 2010
- Slain Indian-origin woman's husband, two others charged with first-degree murder in Canada - Jan 25, 2011
- Indian doctor cleared of obscenity charge in Britain - Aug 25, 2011
- UK doc 'sexually assaulted patients and told a colleague to keep quiet' - Apr 19, 2011
- Weight-loss doctor in US arrested for sexually assaulting his patients - Apr 13, 2011
- Indian doctor gets bail for gangrape, two more victims come forward - Feb 24, 2011
- Canadian Mountie charged for killing wife active in Sikh community - Jul 12, 2010
- Canadian gay porn star held in Germany for murder - Jun 04, 2012
- Sikh brothers held for assaulting gay couple in Canada - Jul 03, 2010
- Man brings live grenade to police station - Aug 25, 2011
- Combination ACE inhibitor therapy raises risk of kidney failure, death - Mar 22, 2011
- British Sikh jailed for sex attack was guest at queen's programme - Jun 07, 2012
- Ousted Tunisian president has prime assets in Canada: Report - Feb 20, 2011
Tags: alleged victims, canada vancouver, canadian mounted police, college of physicians, college of physicians and surgeons, college of physicians and surgeons of alberta, family doctor, fastest growing cities, formal charges, grande prairie, indian doctor, indian origin, indian woman, murthi, physicians and surgeons, province of alberta, royal canadian mounted police, sexual exploitation, theman, woman doctor