Indian businessman abducted in Trinidad and TobagoMarch 13th, 2011 - 3:02 pm ICT by IANS
Port-of-Spain, March 13 (IANS) An Indian businessman, who came here from New Delhi three weeks ago, was abducted and robbed of his belongings by assailants, police said. The victim has been rescued.
Four people, including two women, were arrested after police intercepted the vehicle in which Faiyad Bartanwala was being taken to a secluded place at Carlsen Field area in Chaguanas town, about 20 km from this capital city of Trinidad and Tobago.
The four suspects, aged 18-21, will be presented before the Chaguanas Court Monday to face the charges of abduction and robbery, police said.
According to police, Bartanwala was in a car parked at Edinburgh Village, Chaguanas Friday when two men entered the vehicle and robbed him of $250 and his mobile phone. They then took Bartanwala to an unknown location, where two women joined them.
Following a tip-off from an eyewitness, police traced the vehicle at Carlsen Field, five kilometres from the scene of abduction, and rescued the victim.
Ethnic Indians constitute about 40 percent of the country’s total population.
(Paras Ramoutar can be contacted at email@example.com)
- Indian firm to open new office in Trinidad and Tobago - Feb 22, 2012
- West Indies mourns Morton's death - Mar 07, 2012
- India looks at Trinidad and Tobago for oil - Nov 15, 2010
- Hanuman idol perched atop pole in Trinidad and Tobago - Feb 08, 2011
- Indian bank clocks 120 percent growth in Trinidad and Tobago - Feb 24, 2011
- Trinidad and Tobago, India to celebrate I-Day jointly - Aug 10, 2012
- Trinidad and Tobago PM chief guest at Pravasi Bharatiya Divas - Oct 27, 2011
- First Indian film fest in Trinidad and Tobago - Nov 18, 2010
- Robbery bid at Indian bank in Trinidad and Tobago - Jun 11, 2012
- Bangalore Little Theatre relives India's political past on stage in Caribbean - Oct 03, 2011
- Video on Facebook page threatens Trinidad and Tobago PM - Aug 29, 2011
- Trinidad seeks India's investment in energy search - Feb 09, 2011
- 'Commonwealth leaders should reconnect with electorate' (With Image) - Jan 10, 2012
- Goan dances enthrall Trinidad and Tobago audience - Aug 13, 2011
- India to help develop Trinidad as ICT hub - Jan 27, 2012
Tags: abducted, abduction, assailants, belongings, edinburgh, indian businessman, indians, kilometres, mobile phone, New Delhi, port of spain, robbery, total population, trinidad and tobago, two men, two women