Indian athletes win seven golds at Asian Grand PrixJune 23rd, 2008 - 10:54 pm ICT by IANS
Bangkok, June 23 (IANS) Indian athletes dominated the first leg of Asian Grand Prix by winning seven gold medals here Monday. Indian women’s relay team won 4X400 metres gold with 3:32.55 seconds beating China and host Thailand. The Indian girls need to run must faster in the second leg of the Grand Prix at Korat in Thailand Friday, to secure top 16 position in the world which will also secure their participation in the Beijing Olympics. In the past, Indian team had reached finals of women 4×400m relay in the Los Angles 1984 and Athens Olympics 2004.
Indian men’s 4×400m relay team consisting of Bibin Mathew, Bhupendra Singh, S.K. Mortaja and K.M. Binu won the gold with 3:07.26 secs. Sri Lanka won silver in 3:10.91 secs and Thailand bronze with 3:13.54 secs.
Earlier K. M. Binu, semi finalist of Athens Olympic 2004 came third in the men’s 400m with a timing of 47.36 secs.
Indian men also swept the honours in the middle distance events as well.
Sandeep Karan Singh won the men’s 1500m with a timing of 3:51.32 secs while youngster Naresh Yadav finished second in 3:51.61 secs. Kashinath Aswale, recovering from back injury came up with brilliant performance of 8:09.92 secs to win the 3000m race while team mate Ajay Kumar Patel finished second with 8:09.97 secs.
In the men’s triple jump, defending champion Renjith Maheshwary finished second with a jump of 16.53m.
India’s ace women jumper Anju George won the long jump title with modest 6.41m.
India’s Satyender Singh continued his fine form with a throw of 18.42m in the men’s shot put while his compatriot Om Prakash took third place in 17.77m.
In the women’s 400m, Mandeep Kaur won the gold with a timing of 51.94 secs.
Harwant Kaur who has already attained A qualification for Olympics finished second with a throw of 60.78m while Seema Antil and Krishna Poonia finished fourth and fifth respectively.
- Asian Games athletics: Relay team gives gold, Preeja silver (Roundup) - Nov 26, 2010
- Mayookha, Om Prakash win bronze in Asian Athletics (Lead) - Jul 09, 2011
- A relay medal in London Olympics possible: Manjeet Kaur - Dec 12, 2010
- Gold for Luka, Poonia in Asian Grand Prix - Jun 09, 2010
- CWG athletics: India bag second gold in best Games show (Roundup) - Oct 13, 2010
- South African swimmer Townsend misses Olympic qualification - Apr 19, 2012
- Mayookha, Om Prakash win bronze in Asian Athletics - Jul 09, 2011
- Asian Games swimming: Khade creates history in pool after 24 years (Lead) - Nov 16, 2010
- Phelps becomes history's most medaled Olympian (Lead) - Aug 01, 2012
- CWG swimming: Indian men qualify for 4x100m freestyle relay - Oct 04, 2010
- Olympic athletics: Isenbayeva misses hat-trick; second gold for Sanchez after eight (Athletics Roundup) - Aug 07, 2012
- Olympics: Phelps takes his medal tally to 21; US overtake China (Overall Roundup) - Aug 04, 2012
- Olympic dreams over for Sinimole and Sajeesh - Jul 06, 2012
- Asian Games: Four golds take India's tally to 14 (Roundup) - Nov 26, 2010
- Olympic dreams over for Rathore and Anjali (Lead) - Jan 14, 2012
Tags: anju george, athens olympic 2004, athens olympics 2004, beijing olympics, binu, brilliant performance, defending champion, gold medals, indian athletes, indian girls, indian men, karan singh, korat, kumar patel, mandeep kaur, middle distance, relay team, seema antil, semi finalist, team mate