Indian artist’s painting fetches $300,000 in US auctionApril 2nd, 2012 - 11:40 am ICT by IANS
New York, April 2 (IANS) A previously unrecorded work by the master Indian artist Bagta fetched a record $302,500 at the Indian, Himalayan & Southeast Asian Art auction here last month
This portrait of the imposing figure of Rawat Gokal Das celebrating ‘holi’ with his consorts (fl. 1761-1814) was consigned by a collector who bought the piece two decades ago for a modest $125, according to New York auction house Bonhams.
Dated 1808 and measuring 16 x 22 inches this work is a rare representation of Bagta’s larger scale depiction.
Bagta was featured in the landmark exhibition which opened at the Museum Rietberg, Zurich, and was on display at the Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York’s ‘Wonder of the Age, Master Painters of India, 1100-1900′ exhibition until recently.
“It was truly incredible to witness the sale of this work come to fruition. Bringing in a lot of this calibre has proven to be not only a highlight of my career but also a highlight for Bonhams and for this 2012 Asia Week,” said Edward Wilkinson, Bonhams department specialist.
- US gallery pays $4.6 mn at auction for Velazquez piece - Dec 08, 2011
- Akbar Padamsee to lead Sotheby's Asian art sale - Feb 18, 2011
- Asian art seeing a resurgence in global market - Sep 18, 2012
- London's V&A; Museum showcases Tagore, Kalighat paintings - Oct 18, 2011
- Tyeb Mehta, Khoj, Pakistani art to lead Christie's Asian sale (With Image) - May 30, 2012
- World's 1st major exhibition on Lord Vishnu set to open in Nashville - Dec 24, 2010
- Roller coaster year for Indian art (2011 in Retrospect) (With images) - Dec 28, 2011
- Christie's to auction impressions of colonial India - Sep 14, 2011
- Canvas with just a date up for 60,000 pounds - Sep 30, 2011
- California's Norton Simon Museum exhibiting Vishnu and other Hindu sculptures - Apr 23, 2011
- Slice of Mughal history on sale at Sotheby's - Oct 30, 2011
- New York's famed Rubin Museum to exhibit photos of India-Nepal sadhus - Jan 09, 2011
- Husain, Raza highlights of Sotheby's Asian art sale - May 18, 2011
- Brooklyn Museum in USA to exhibit Lord Vishnu from June - Mar 05, 2011
- 'Temple' inside San Diego Museum - Dec 18, 2010
Tags: art auction, asia week, auction house, bonhams, calibre, celebrating holi, fruition, himalayan, holi, indian artist, landmark exhibition, master painters, metropolitan museum of art, metropolitan museum of art new york, museum of art new york, painters of india, rare representation, rietberg, southeast asian art, york auction