Indian-Americans caught in $450 mn Medicare fraudMay 3rd, 2012 - 11:11 am ICT by IANS
Washington, May 3 (IANS) Several Indian-Americans are among 107 people charged in Medicare fraud schemes involving $450 million in false billings uncovered in an operation across seven cities in the largest US bust in recent history.
Top US law enforcement officials announced the charges were filed in seven metropolitan areas, capping an investigation of several months into efforts to defraud Medicare, Medicaid and other federal health programmes for senior citizens.
At least 91 of the defendants in the case have been taken into custody following an early morning roundup and the execution of 20 search warrants, the officials said.
In Miami, 59 people were charged. Seven defendants were charged in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, nine were charged in Houston, eight were charged in Los Angeles, 22 were charged in Detroit, one was charged in Chicago and one in Tampa.
At least four Indian Americans figured among those charged in Detroit.
While Sachin Sharma, 36, and Dana Sharma, 29, of Michigan and two others were charged for their roles in a $23 million scheme to defraud Medicare, Madhur Thawani, 27, and Ankit Patel, 27, also of Michigan and three others were charged in another $13.8 million scheme to defraud Medicare.
Those arrested include nurses, therapists, social workers and a pharmacist. Charges against ambulance companies for billing to cover unnecessary rides represented a new wrinkle in fraud enforcement, officials said.
FBI Deputy Director Sean Joyce told a press conference here to announce the charges that the FBI is currently investigating more than 2,600 cases of health care fraud.
In 2011, the FBI charged more than 1,600 individuals, and helped secure more than 700 convictions, he said.
(Arun Kumar can be contacted at email@example.com)
- 19 Indians indicted for $60 mn medical fraud in US - Aug 03, 2011
- Six Indian-Americans caught in US Medicare fraud - Feb 18, 2011
- Indian-American doctor jailed for 8 years - Feb 26, 2011
- Indian-American couple charged with operating a pill mill - Jun 26, 2009
- Former Grand Blanc, Michigan broker sentenced for multi-million dollar fraud - Feb 12, 2010
- Feds make Medicare fraud arrests - Feb 18, 2011
- Miami couple sentenced for $1 million Medicare fraud - Mar 13, 2010
- Tri-Valley University head indicted in visa fraud - May 04, 2011
- Two Indian Americans plead guilty to health care fraud - Dec 12, 2009
- Houston, TX behavioral counseling business owner charged with health care fraud - Mar 04, 2010
- Indian-American doctor gets 15-year jail - Feb 02, 2011
- Indian American doctor gets jail for $13 mn insurance fraud - Aug 12, 2010
- Indian-American couple scammed $460M from New York project - Jun 21, 2011
- Indian-American doctor convicted of health care fraud - Mar 15, 2012
- Russian gang nabbed in US for $279 mn fraud - Mar 01, 2012
Tags: ambulance companies, ankit patel, arun kumar, baton rouge louisiana, deputy director, false billings, federal health, fraud schemes, health care fraud, law enforcement officials, madhur, medicare fraud, medicare medicaid, new wrinkle, recent history, sachin sharma, search warrants, senior citizens, seven cities, social workers