Indian-American woman murdered in California motelJuly 12th, 2012 - 10:38 am ICT by IANS
Washington, July 12 (IANS) A US Army veteran has been charged in the brutal sexual assault and murder of a 62-year-old Indian American woman at a motel in California run by her family, according to local media report.
Stephen Carreiro, 25, was arraigned Tuesday in San Joaquin Superior Court on charges that he raped and murdered Lalita Patel Saturday night at the Hacienda Inn, in Tracy city, California, San Jose Mercury News reported.
Carreiro was naked when he was arrested around 7:15 p.m. Saturday after fighting with witnesses and police at the motel, it said.
In addition to charges of murder, elder abuse, and resisting arrest, prosecutors filed five special-circumstances counts of murder during the commission of a burglary, rape, rape with a foreign object, sodomy and mayhem, Mercury News said.
Police said that Carreiro had also attacked the victim’s 82-year-old mother, but would not give the details of that assault. She is expected to recover from her injuries. But it would not describe the nature of Carreiro’s attack on Patel or reveal whether a weapon was used.
Carreiro had recently been discharged from the Army, Mercury News said citing Tracy police Capt. John Espinoza.
Patel was found near the office of the motel, where she was working Saturday night, Espinoza said. She was taken to a nearby hospital, where she was pronounced dead.
Espinoza confirmed that there was a live-in unit next to the motel office for employees, but would not say if that room was where Patel was found.
Carreiro is being held without bail at the San Joaquin County Jail. He will appear next at a hearing on July 24.
(Arun Kumar can be contacted at email@example.com)
- Police Searching For City College Student Murderer Armando Perez - Jan 30, 2011
- Indian-American shot dead in California - Apr 14, 2012
- Tibetan from India among US shooting victims - Apr 04, 2012
- Pilots killed as two crop-dusters collide in Costa Rica - Jun 22, 2011
- Arrested for rape, Asiad gold medallist Pinki presented in court - Jun 15, 2012
- Minor maid raped, murdered in Thane - May 28, 2011
- Holly Washa's Murderer Cal Brown Executed - Sep 11, 2010
- US military instructor jailed for rape - Jul 22, 2012
- Pinki files theft complaint against live-in partner - Jul 15, 2012
- Melissa Huckaby Pleads Guilty To The Sandra Cantu Killing - May 11, 2010
- US woman jailed for shooting sex tape with son - Jun 24, 2012
- Indian-American man nailed for wanting to hire 'hit-man' to kill rape accuser student - Nov 13, 2010
- Five-year-old girl raped, murdered in Pakistan - Jun 03, 2012
- Australian victims given drugs for sexual favours - Jul 11, 2010
- Pinki to face gender test Monday - Jun 16, 2012
Tags: arun kumar, california motel, california run, california san jose, capt john, carreiro, john espinoza, jose mercury news, motel in california, motel office, nearby hospital, police capt, san joaquin county, san joaquin county jail, san joaquin superior court, san jose mercury, san jose mercury news, special circumstances, tracy city, us army veteran