Indian-American treats wife as slave; gets away with probationMay 24th, 2012 - 7:46 pm ICT by IANS
New York, May 24 (IANS) An Indian American man whose family forced his wife into slave labour was spared jail but sentenced to three years’ probation and ordered to perform 220 hours of community service. His mother and sister each face up to seven years in prison.
Vishal Jagota, 34, of New York suburb Ramapo was also fined $1,000 by Rockland County Court Judge William K. Nelson, Newsday reported.
Prosecutors alleged that Jagota’s wife, whom authorities never publicly named, was brought to the US from India in January 2008 through an arranged marriage at 20 and suffered in a life of servitude and sexual abuse.
The abuse went on until the Jagotas were arrested in October 2010.
Jagota, his mother and sister were indicted in March 2011 on charges of labour trafficking and endangering the welfare of a child in addition to assault charges.
However, in a non-jury trial, Nelson convicted Jagota in February, only on a misdemeanour assault charge. The conviction carried a maximum sentence of a year in jail.
His 58-year-old mother Parveen Jagota, and 31-year-old sister Rajani Jagota were convicted of labour trafficking and second-degree assault, both felonies.
They each face up to seven years in prison when they are sentenced next month.
Rockland County District Attorney Thomas Zugibe said he was disappointed by the sentence Vishal Jagota received.
“Plain and simple, he and his family imprisoned this young victim for three years,” he said in a statement.
Prosecutors alleged that the Jagota family used intimidation, and physical and sexual abuse to force the victim, now 25 years old, to work round-the-clock in their home.
On one occasion, Jagota’s mother and sister burned the victim’s hand with a hot iron because they didn’t like the way she had done the laundry, they said.
- Illegal Spring Valley, NY lottery operation taken down - Feb 12, 2010
- Arlington, TX couple sentenced to 20 years for enslaving Nigerian woman over 8 years - Jun 05, 2010
- Garnerville, N.Y., man sentenced to 14 years after assaulting a pizza deliveryman - Feb 11, 2010
- More than 400 Afghan women jailed for 'moral crimes' - Mar 29, 2012
- Pakistani gang jailed for raping 50 white British girls - May 09, 2012
- Sexual grooming of white girls an Asian problem: Official - Jun 08, 2012
- Former New York Giants great Lawrence Taylor arrested for rape of young girl - May 06, 2010
- Wanted sex trafficker extradited to Russia - Mar 31, 2012
- Teen brothers convicted of sexually assaulting six-year-old sister - Jun 25, 2010
- Former New York Giants great Lawrence Taylor arrested for rape in New York - May 06, 2010
- Indian-American woman murdered in California motel - Jul 12, 2012
- US mom facing 5 yrs in jail after pleading no contest to sex with teen boys - Feb 26, 2011
- Three Russian women kill paedophile - May 03, 2012
- Chinese man jailed for selling his three children - Feb 16, 2012
- Hayden Panettiere to play convicted murderer Amanda Knox - Sep 21, 2010
Tags: american man, assault charge, assault charges, county court judge, county district attorney, degree assault, felonies, hot iron, judge william, jury trial, k nelson, maximum sentence, mother and sister, new york suburb, newsday, old mother, ramapo, rockland county, servitude, slave labour