Indian American student among wounded in US shooting (Lead)April 3rd, 2012 - 7:06 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, April 3 (IANS) A gunman who killed seven people at a California University ordered everyone to get up against a wall, and started shooting, according to a 19-year old Indian American student who was among the three wounded.
Davinder Kaur, 19, a US Army Reservist from Santa Clara, told relatives the gunman had been a student in her class but had been absent for months before reappearing Monday morning, Oakland Tribune reported.
“The people started running, and he started shooting,” said Gurpreet Sahota, who relayed an account from his sister-in-law, a nursing student.
Some panicked when he drew a gun and began firing; she was shot in the arm as she helped a friend who had fallen on the classroom’s floor. She then ran outside and called her brother, Paul Singh.
“She told me that a guy went crazy, and she got shot,” Singh said. “She was running. She was crying; she was bleeding. It was wrong.”
Police received a 911 call at 10.33 a.m. Art Richards, of Oakland, told the Tribune he arrived at the school right around that time to pick up a friend who’s a nursing student there.
Richards said he saw a young woman wearing blue scrubs — possibly Kaur — emerge from bushes near the building, with blood running down her right arm from a wound near her elbow.
She told him the gunman had fired point-blank at a man’s chest, and she had been grazed by a bullet before she fled the building.
Kaur’s family, standing vigil as she was being treated at Alameda County Medical Center’s Highland Hospital, said they saw other victims as well: a man shot in the shoulder and a woman shot in her hand and back.
Kaur’s father, Balvir Singh, via translation by Sahota, said her family is “lucky she is alive. We are thankful that God saved her.” The gunman, he said, “should get the full consequences that he deserves for doing this to these people.”
Oakland Police have arrested the alleged shooter identified as 43-year-old One Goh, an American of Korean origin.
(Arun Kumar can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Sikkimese killed in US massacre was nursing student - Apr 03, 2012
- Gunman kills seven at California religious college - Apr 03, 2012
- Tibetan from India among US shooting victims - Apr 04, 2012
- Seven die in US college shooting - Apr 03, 2012
- Gurdwara chief braveheart who went down fighting - Aug 07, 2012
- Elderly man kills 2 doctors before killing self in southwestern Germany - Mar 07, 2012
- Family, students protest Radhika's killing - Mar 11, 2011
- New York gunman kills one, injures 10; shot dead (Second Lead) - Aug 24, 2012
- British teen held over Indian student's killing - Dec 27, 2011
- Gunman kills five, self at US skating rink - Jul 24, 2011
- Punjab to pay for transporting bodies of gurdwara victims - Aug 07, 2012
- Gunman opens fire in Hollywood before being killed by police - Dec 10, 2011
- US investigating Sikh gurdwara shooting as domestic terrorism - Aug 06, 2012
- Gabrielle Giffords in Good Condition Transfers to Rehab Center - Jan 27, 2011
- 14 killed, 50 wounded at Batman showing in US (Fourth Lead) - Jul 20, 2012
Tags: alameda county medical center, americ, army reservist, brother paul, california university, county medical center, davinder, gunman, gurpreet, m art, monday morning, oakland police, oakland tribune, paul singh, right arm, sahota, scrubs, sister in law, us army, vigil