Indian-American poised to head the US National Science FoundationJune 9th, 2010 - 2:12 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, June 9, (ANI): Subra Suresh, the 54-year-old Dean of engineering at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), is poised to head the prestigious US National Science Foundation, which funds research in the non-medical sciences, MIT News Office report has revealed.
If recommended by the Senate, Suresh would be the first Indian-American to head the organisation.
Suresh, a student of mechanical engineering at the Indian Institute of Technology, Madras, received his doctoral degree form MIT in 1981.
His seniors have welcomed Suresh’s recommendation.
“Usually interdisciplinary, he’s truly made himself proficient in a number of areas and joined them in ways that have had an impact.” Ben Freund, a mechanical engineer at Brown University in Providence, Rhode Island, who in 1983 recruited Suresh as an assistant professor there, was quoted, as saying.
If finally confirmed, Suresh faces some tough challenges also.
The probable freezing of funds for the agency in wake of the increasing national debt will be the top concern for him, as it is very unlikely that Congress will set the NSF’s budget until after the midterm elections in November. (ANI)
- Indian American sworn in as America's top science official - Oct 19, 2010
- Obama visit: All the president's desis - Oct 24, 2010
- Robotic arm to reveal inner working of brain cells - May 07, 2012
- 20 Indian geeks to flag innovations at EmTech - Mar 26, 2012
- Indian American to lead MIT's largest academic department - Jun 14, 2011
- Amartya Sen to chair Infosys Foundation jury for social sciences - Jul 15, 2009
- Scientists design earthworm-like robot - Aug 10, 2012
- IIT Bombay grad gets top US energy job - Nov 30, 2011
- 6 MIT scientists to address EmTech India in Bangalore - Mar 23, 2012
- Rajat Gupta's fall 'from lofty board room to lowly jail cell' - Jun 16, 2012
- MIT to hold emerging technologies conference in Bangalore - Feb 27, 2010
- Four young Indian-American scientists honoured by Obama - Jul 24, 2012
- TERI University appoints Bhavik Bakshi as vice-chancellor - Jul 08, 2010
- Snail shell could be used as model for better armor for soldiers and vehicles - Jan 19, 2010
- Top Indians in the Obama administration - Mar 10, 2012
Tags: assistant professor, brown university, dean, doctoral degree, indian institute of technology, indian institute of technology madras, institute of technology, massachusetts institute of technology, massachusetts institute of technology mit, mechanical engineer, mechanical engineering, medical sciences, midterm elections, national debt, national science foundation, news office, nsf, providence rhode island, seniors, subra