Indian American pleads guilty to trade secret theftJuly 14th, 2008 - 10:03 pm ICT by IANS
New York, July 14 (IANS) An Indian American former Hewlett-Packard (HP) vice-president has pleaded guilty in a California court to stealing trade secrets from his previous employer, IBM. Atul Malhotra, 42, admitted in the federal court in San Jose to passing a confidential email from IBM to his senior HP executives, media reports said.
Malhotra was director of sales and business development at IBM in March 2006 when he requested pricing information about IBM services. Two months later, he joined HP’s print division and passed on that information to his seniors.
An indictment filed in the court in late June said the message he passed on contained sensitive information about business practices at IBM.
HP said in a statement that the activity for which Malhotra was charged was in direct violation of their policies. They said they conducted an internal investigation at the time, fired him and reported the incident to law enforcement. His employment only lasted for four months.
Malhotra, of Santa Barbara, faces a maximum of 10 years in prison, three years of supervised release and a fine of as much as $250,000.
A sentencing hearing is set for Oct 29.
- HP files suit to block ex-CEO Hurd from taking president's job at Oracle - Sep 08, 2010
- Mark Hurd Joins Oracle, HP Sues Him - Sep 08, 2010
- HP sues ex-boss Hurd over Oracle move - Sep 08, 2010
- HP quarterly profit plunges - Nov 22, 2011
- Is Oracle vying to acquire HP? - Sep 23, 2010
- Hewlett-Packard to slash 27,000 jobs - May 24, 2012
- Hewlett-Packard Co. Stock Tumbles As CEO Mark Hurd Resigns - Aug 07, 2010
- HP recalls 78,740 laptop batteries - Jun 03, 2011
- HP may buy software company for $10 bn: Report - Aug 19, 2011
- HP unveils tablet - Nov 04, 2011
- Hewlett-Packard Co. CEO Mark Hurd Resigns As CEO - Aug 07, 2010
- HP posts decline of quarterly profit, sales - Feb 23, 2012
- HP sues Mark Hurd, Oracle to pay him annual salary of $950,000 plus 10 million in stock options - Sep 08, 2010
- HP eyes 21.5 percent market share in consumer notebook segment - Jun 20, 2012
- HP to keep PC business - Oct 28, 2011
Tags: 10 years, atul, business development, business practices, california court, email, four months, hewlett packard, indictment, internal investigation, july 14, law enforcement, malhotra, santa barbara, secret theft, seniors, sentencing hearing, supervised release, trade secrets, vice president