Indian American bridegroom-to-be killed in boat accidentJuly 4th, 2010 - 8:34 pm ICT by IANS
By Arun Kumar
New York, July 4 (IANS) A young Indian American physiotherapist preparing to marry his long-time sweetheart next month was killed in a boating accident in New York Harbour, media reports Sunday said.
Jijo Puthuvamkunnath, 30, was celebrating with friends on a small boat near the Statue of Liberty Friday afternoon when they were hit by a 30-foot ProLine craft piloted by Richard Aquilone, New York Daily News said.
The impact shattered the tiny boat and pinned Puthuvamkunnath in the hull, killing the New Jersey man just two days after he sat with his fiance Sissy Chacko for their wedding portrait.
Puthuvamkunnath, an immigrant from India who earned a doctorate from Rutgers University, was a physical therapist who worked with children at schools and hospitals throughout New Jersey.
Clutching an invitation to a wedding that will never be, the victim’s heartbroken father, Varqhese Puthuvamkunnath, the Daily said, had one message for the boater charged with taking his son’s life: “Give this to the man who killed my son!”
Varghese was crying so hard Saturday he could barely walk. “My boy, my boy,” he said, as his voice trailed off and the tears streamed down his face. “I lost my child.”
US Park Police officials believe Aquilone’s boat - the Reel Impulsive - hit the wake of a passing Shark speedboat and then came crashing down atop the 17-foot Bayliner in which Puthuvamkunnath was sitting with two friends.
Aquilone, 39, was charged with vehicular manslaughter and operating a vessel while under the influence of alcohol. He blurted out his condolences to the dead man’s family after his arraignment in Manhattan Criminal Court. “I apologise for this, really,” Aquilone said.
Dozens of weeping mourners filled Puthuvamkunnath’s father’s home Saturday. Relatives and friends were suddenly forced to plan a funeral instead of preparing for a wedding.
The wedding party posed for photos on Wednesday and the invitations were mailed out last month for an Aug 28 ceremony at Assyrian Orthodox Church of the Virgin Mary in Paramus, New Jersey.
(Arun Kumar can be contacted at email@example.com)
- Fiancée of Indian-American killed in NY boat accident, refuses to accept fact - Jul 06, 2010
- Johansson goes behind the camera for music video - Jan 19, 2012
- Dharun Ravi finds support from gay rights advocates - May 21, 2012
- 13 dead, 1.6 mn without power after freak snowstorm in US (Lead) - Nov 01, 2011
- Vera Wang to design Kim Kardashian's wedding gown - Aug 02, 2011
- Indian-American spying on gay roomie to face more charges - Oct 01, 2010
- New Jersey shooting rekindles debate on US gun laws (Third Lead) - Aug 31, 2012
- Coast Guard rescues one person from disabled sailing vessel off California - Apr 12, 2010
- Scarlett Johansson teased for texting her 'sexy husband' - Nov 18, 2010
- Americans brace for 'hurricane of historic proportions' - Aug 27, 2011
- 13 deaths, 1.7 million without power in US after snowstorm - Nov 01, 2011
- Sharks near US beaches create panic - Jul 18, 2010
- An Indian who longs for India (IANS Book Review) - Mar 28, 2012
- India asks US to avoid SRK-type incidents - Apr 14, 2012
- Poonam Alaigh quits as New Jersey health chief - Mar 30, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,