Indian aircraft carrier’s sea trials postponedMay 24th, 2012 - 8:50 am ICT by IANS
Moscow, May 24 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Sea trials of the Admiral Gorshkov aircraft carrier, which is being overhauled for the Indian navy in Russia, have been postponed until beginning of June, the Sevmash shipyard said Wednesday.
The vessel was originally scheduled to sail for trials in the White Sea and the Barents Sea May 25. Its refurbishing is being carried out at the Sevmash shipyard in northern Russia.
“The start of the sea trials has been moved to the beginning of June,” said a Sevmash spokesperson.
The purchase of the Soviet-built Admiral Gorshkov was agreed in 2005 but delivery to India has been long delayed. The cost of refurbishing the aircraft carrier, to be renamed INS Vikramaditya, has since gone up from $947 million to over $2 billion.
The delay could have been caused by poor weather forecast in the trials area next week, the official added.
The Admiral Gorshkov’s delivery to the Indian navy is expected in December 2012.
- India to get Russian aircraft carrier by December - Jan 17, 2012
- Refurbished aircraft carrier for India begins sea trials - Jun 08, 2012
- MiG-29 makes first landing on Indian carrier - Jul 23, 2012
- India carrier's trial snags blamed on faulty boilers - Sep 18, 2012
- Faulty boilers caused Indian aircraft carrier's trial snags (Lead) - Sep 18, 2012
- Russia to build new aircraft carrier after 2020 - Jul 27, 2012
- Indian Navy hopeful of getting INS Vikramaditya by April 2013 (Lead) - Sep 17, 2012
- India's carrier, n-sub programme delayed - Aug 08, 2012
- China tests new aircraft carrier - Sep 01, 2011
- 'Aircraft carrier Admiral Gorshkov shaping up for sea trials' - Jul 20, 2011
- Russia behind schedule on Indian frigates delivery - Jul 02, 2011
- Russia's new attack submarine starts sea trials - Sep 13, 2011
- Gorshkov refit on track: India - Jun 01, 2010
- Russia delivers naval fighters to India - May 31, 2011
- Russia to deliver five MiG-29K fighters to India - Aug 13, 2011
Tags: admiral gorshkov aircraft carrier, barents sea, India, indian aircraft, indian navy, ins, may 24, moscow, northern russia, poor weather, ria novosti, sea trials, shipyard, spokesperson, vikramaditya, white sea