Indian Air Force’s first C-130J Super Hercules takes to skiesOctober 6th, 2010 - 1:33 pm ICT by ANI
Marietta, Oct 6 (ANI): The first of six C-130J Super Hercules made for the Indian Air Force took to the skies for its maiden flight on Tuesday at Marietta in Georgia.
To provide the Indian armed forces new special operations capabilities using the world’s most advanced airlifter, India has purchased six stretched-fuselage C-130J-30s from the US in a billion dollar deal.
The aircraft will now complete a series of company and customer flight tests prior to coming to India in December.
The first Super Hercules that donned Indian Air Force (IAF) colours in June took to the skies for its maiden flight.
“The aircraft will now complete a series of company and customer flight tests prior to delivery in December. The second and third aircraft are due to fly within the next few weeks,” said a Lockheed Martin release.
Equipped with India-unique operational equipment, including an infrared detection set (IDS), the aircraft for the first time will provide the IAF an ability to conduct precision low-level flying operations, airdrops and landings in blackout conditions.
To ensure 80 percent availability of the aircraft at any given time, Lockheed Martin has offered a long-term maintenance contract to the IAF.
The C-130J primarily performs the tactical portion of an airlift mission. The aircraft is capable of operating from rough, dirt strips and is the prime transport for air dropping troops and equipment into hostile areas.
The C-130J Super Hercules, a four-engine turboprop military transport aircraft, is a comprehensive update of the venerable Lockheed C-130 Hercules, with new engines, flight deck, and other systems. (ANI)
- India's first Super Hercules plane takes to the skies - Oct 06, 2010
- India gets first of six Super Hercules airlifters - Dec 17, 2010
- India to get first Super Hercules airlifters next week - Dec 10, 2010
- India's first Super Hercules plane readies for maiden flight (With Image) - Sep 23, 2010
- Obama waives ban on C-130 cargo aircraft sales to China - Oct 14, 2010
- India takes delivery of first C-130J airlifter (With image) - Dec 17, 2010
- First of six C-130J Super Hercules heads for India - Oct 06, 2010
- India's first Super Hercules airlifter dons IAF colours (With Image) - Jun 26, 2010
- India among C-130 plane operators at Lockheed meet - Oct 18, 2011
- IAF's first C-130J aiflifter to arrive this week - Jan 16, 2011
- C-130J reaches Hindon ahead of induction into IAF - Feb 04, 2011
- Two more Super Hercules planes on way to India (With Images) - Jun 17, 2011
- US delivers last Super Hercules cargo plane this weekend - Dec 23, 2011
- Indian Air Force receieves first 'C-130J Super Hercules' - Dec 17, 2010
- India inducts first C-130J, but without critical equipment (Second Lead) - Feb 05, 2011
Tags: airlift mission, c 130 hercules, coming to india, dirt strips, dollar deal, flight tests, hostile areas, indian air force, indian armed forces, infrared detection, lockheed c, lockheed martin, maiden flight, military transport aircraft, new engines, operational equipment, prime transport, rough dirt, stretched fuselage, time lockheed