India win one gold and three bronzes in archery World CupApril 6th, 2009 - 6:00 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, April 6 (IANS) The Indian men’s recurve team of Rahul Banerjee, Mangal Singh Champia and Jayanta Talukdar clinched the gold medal, beating Great Britain 221-215 in the World Cup archery (Stage 1) final at Santo Domingo.
There were more medals for India as the women’s compound team of Jhano Hansdah, Bheigyabati Chanu and Manjudha Soy took the team bronze defeating Venezuela’s 219-208 in the play-off Sunday, according to information received here Monday.
Dola Banerjee, winner of World Cup finals at Dubai in 2007, downed her compatriot Reena Kumari in the individual recurve bronze medal play-off in the tie-breaker after the two ended the 12-arrow contest at 102-102. Reena shot a 7 and Dola replied with 8 to take the medal.
In men’s recurve final, the top seeded Indian team faced the experienced British troika of the 1992 Olympic silver medallist Simon Terry, two-time Olympian Laurence Godfrey and World Games silver medallist Alan Wills.
With a 6 in the first end, the British were trailing by two after six arrows (53-55). However, they turned a 7 by their opponents to their advantage and tied the score at the half-way mark (108-108).
It was difficult to say at that point which team would win. With three 10s in the third end, the Indians took back the lead by one point (164-163).
With only six arrows to go, two 8s by Terry and Godfrey and a 7 by Wills in the last end buried British’s hopes of recovery. The Indians clinched the gold (221-215). Bronze medal went to the US which beat Mexico 222-220.
In compound women event, shooting first in the bronze medal fight, Bosch, Guedez and Montes from Venezuela started with 25 points. With a perfect opening (10-10-10), the Indians, Chanu, Hansdah and Soy, took a 5-point lead.
At the half-way mark, the gap between the two teams was of eight points (113-105) in favour of India. The women team shot brilliantly with only 10s, 9s and 8s to clinch the bronze medal on the final score of 219-208.
In women’s recurve, Dola Banerjee got the bronxe beating compatriot Reena.
Shooting a 6 in the first end, Dola trailed by four points after three arrows (22-26) and by three at the half-way mark (48-51). However, with one 10 and two 9s in the third end, she stuck back down to the score and only trailed by one with three arrows to go (76-77). The score was tied at the end of the match. Reena shot a 7 in the shoot-off, in comparison to Dola’s 9.
- World Cup archery: Indian men settle for silver - May 08, 2011
- Archery World Cup: Indian men to clash for gold - Apr 05, 2009
- Asian Grand Prix archery: Rich medal haul for India - Feb 19, 2012
- CWG archery: First-ever medal for India (Lead) - Oct 07, 2010
- Asian Games archery: Indian women get bronze, Korea take gold (Lead) - Nov 21, 2010
- Archers confident of rich medals haul in Games - Sep 10, 2010
- Indian women's archery team qualifies for Olympics (Lead) - Jul 06, 2011
- India win triple gold in Asian Grand Prix archery (Lead) - Feb 18, 2012
- Indian archers shine in compound team event (Second Lead) - Oct 07, 2010
- Asian Games archery: Indian women's team wins recurve bronze - Nov 21, 2010
- India win gold in Asian Grand Prix archery - Feb 18, 2012
- CWG archery: Indians in semi-finals of team events - Oct 06, 2010
- Indian archers bag 4 gold, 2 silver, 2 bronze medals - Mar 19, 2010
- Indian archers win silver in men's compound, women bag bronze (Roundup) - Oct 07, 2010
- CWG: 34 medal-winning India holds on second position on Day-4 - Oct 07, 2010
Tags: 8s, alan wills, archery world, banerjee, bronze medal, bronzes, chanu, compatriot, compound women, gold medal, indian men, kumari, laurence godfrey, olympic silver, silver medallist, talukdar, team bronze, tie breaker, world cup finals, world games