India win Azlan Shah Cup after 13 yearsApril 12th, 2009 - 8:45 pm ICT by IANS
Ipoh (Malaysia), April 12 (IANS) India ended a 13-year wait to clinch the Azlan Shah Cup hockey, beating hosts Malaysia 3-1 in the final here Sunday.
Arjun Halappa, Prabhjot Singh and Shivendra Singh scored for India. Azlan Misron pulled one back for the hosts at the packed Azlan Shah Stadium.
India entered the tournament as favourites against a depleted field. Pakistan, Malaysia, New Zealand and debutant Egypt were the other teams in fray.
India were stunned in the very first match as Egypt held them 2-2, but bounced back beating Malaysia. They beat Pakistan in the semi-final to enter the title clash.
The Indians were champions in 1985, 1991 and 1995 while in 2006 they lost to Argentina in the final. Malaysia had only made to the final of the tournament in 1985 and 2007 and lost to India and Australia on both the occasion.
Halappa gave India the lead in the eighth minute. Misron, however, restored parity for Malaysia three minutes later.
The Indian team stepped up the attack and went ahead through Prabhjot’s strike in the 20th minute.
Indian defence then stood solid to thwart the attempts of Malaysian forwards. India led 2-1 at the half-time.
India consolidated their lead in the second half with Shivendra’s goal.
- Azlan Shah cup: India hold on Australia 1-1 - May 08, 2011
- Azlan Shah: India beat Malaysia to keep alive hopes - May 28, 2012
- Azlan Shah hockey: Clinical India beat Malaysia 5-2 - May 09, 2011
- India's road to Azlan Shah Cup title - Apr 12, 2009
- Azlan Shah Cup: Impressive India share title with South Korea - May 16, 2010
- Azlan Shah Cup: India stun Britain to clinch bronze - Jun 03, 2012
- Chettri to lead India in Sultan Azlan Shah Cup - Apr 12, 2012
- India beat Korea 3-2 in Azlan Shah Cup hockey - May 09, 2010
- India beat Australia in Sultan Azlan Shah hockey - May 10, 2010
- India pummel Egypt 7-1, to meet South Korea in Azlan Shah final - May 15, 2010
- India lift 18th Sultan Azlan Shah Cup, beat Malaysia 3-1 - Apr 12, 2009
- Azlan Shah Cup: Pakistan beat India 3-1 - May 11, 2011
- Azlan Shah Cup: New-look India team has a lot to play for - May 04, 2011
- Adrian, Sandeep, Diwakar dropped for Azlan Shah hockey - Apr 24, 2010
- Azlan Shah Cup: India lose 1-2 to South Korea, finish sixth (Lead) - May 15, 2011
Tags: 13 years, arjun, attempts, azlan shah cup hockey, debutant, egypt, eighth minute, favourites, forwards, half time, hosts, indian defence, indians, match, parity, prabhjot singh, second half, three minutes, time india, title clash