India will get access to Headley: ManmohanApril 14th, 2010 - 7:04 am ICT by IANS
By Manish Chand and Arun Kumar
Washington, April 14 (IANS) Two days after he held talks with US President Barack Obama, Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh Tuesday expressed confidence that India will get access to David Coleman Headley, the Mumbai terror plotter who is currently in the US custody.
“The president is aware of legal position and we will get access to Headley,” Manmohan Singh told journalists at the end of his four-day visit.
The issue of access to Headley, who is wanted in India for his role in scouting targets for the Mumbai terror attacks in November 2008, figured prominently in wide-ranging discussions Manmohan Singh had with Obama Sunday.
Obama had assured Manmohan Singh that he was “fully supportive” of India’s request for access to Headley and American officials are working through their legal system to make it possible.
Subsequently, National Security Adviser Shivshankar Menon discussed modalities and legal processes to enable India to get access to Headley when he met his counterpart James Jones.
Headley, an American-Pakistani LeT operative, confessed to his role in plotting the 26/11 carnage in a plea bargain in a Chicago court last month to avoid death penalty.
The 49-year-old Headley also admitted that he attended training camps in Pakistan operated by LeT on five separate occasions between 2002 and 2005.
- We will have access to Headley: Manmohan (Lead) - Apr 14, 2010
- India to write to US for access to Headley (Lead) - Apr 17, 2010
- India to get direct access to Headley - Apr 28, 2010
- India, US discuss modalities for Headley access (Lead) - Apr 13, 2010
- With Obama support, India to push harder for Headley access - Apr 12, 2010
- India set to have direct access to Headley (Second Lead) - Apr 28, 2010
- Obama 'fully supports' India's access to Headley - Apr 12, 2010
- India seeks access to Headley, Rana - Jun 14, 2012
- India to have direct access to Headley (Lead) - Apr 28, 2010
- 'Jindal got regular information about Mumbai from Headley' - Jul 05, 2012
- Manmohan, Obama begin talks: Headley, AfPak on agenda (Second Lead) - Apr 12, 2010
- Talks on giving India access to Headley 'still on track' - Apr 22, 2010
- Headley access talks 'still on track' (Lead) - Apr 22, 2010
- Headley, AfPak, nukes, Iran on Manmohan-Obama talks menu - Apr 11, 2010
- US working at highest level to provide access to Headley: Envoy (Third Lead) - Apr 19, 2010
Tags: american officials, arun kumar, barack obama, carnage, chand, david coleman, indian prime minister, indian prime minister manmohan singh, james jones, legal position, legal processes, manish, manmohan, manmohan singh, modalities, national security adviser, plea bargain, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, terror attacks