India were worthy hockey champions: ReportsApril 13th, 2009 - 1:15 pm ICT by IANS
Kuala Lumpur, April 13 (IANS) India were “worthy champions” of the Sultan Azlan Shah Cup, but runners-up Malaysia were also “not completely outplayed”, media reports said on the prestigious hockey tournament finals held in Ipoh.
For Malaysia, it was their third defeat in the final. They lost to India in 1985 and were beaten by Australia in 2007.
“India were worthy champions, adding to their successes in 1985, 1991 and 1995. Malaysia can also take pride in making a good fight for the title,” the Star newspaper said.
Both teams had good chances to take the lead but India made the breakthrough in the 20th minute with Ignacious Tirkey providing the pass for Gurbaj Singh, whose hit into the D was deflected into goal by Prabhjot Singh.
“We were not completely outplayed but we wasted chances and lost the match. India played well and we cannot take anything away from them. Our players will gain from the experience and we must continue with our work,” the newspaper said.
For Malaysia, it was “Bridesmaid’s role again”, New Straits Times said.
The Azlan Shah Stadium in Ipoh was filled to the brim with a crowd of at least 12,000 who braved the rain to watch Malaysia give their best but India were in no mood to do them any favours.
- Azlan Shah Cup: India gear up for New Zealand - May 23, 2012
- Rajpal, Halappa left out from Olympics hockey probables - Feb 27, 2012
- Azlan Shah Cup: Impressive India share title with South Korea - May 16, 2010
- Chettri to lead India in Sultan Azlan Shah Cup - Apr 12, 2012
- Adrian, Sandeep, Diwakar dropped for Azlan Shah hockey - Apr 24, 2010
- Azlan Shah Cup: India narrowly go down to Britain - May 27, 2012
- Azlan Shah: India bounce back to beat South Korea 2-1 - May 25, 2012
- India to begin Sultan Azlan Shah campaign against China - Mar 30, 2010
- Azlan Shah Cup: New-look India team has a lot to play for - May 04, 2011
- India beat Pakistan 4-2 in Azlan Shah hockey - May 07, 2010
- Azlan Shah Cup: Argentina end India's title hopes - May 30, 2012
- Tough challenge for India in men's hockey - Sep 09, 2010
- Azlan Shah Cup: Rupinder drag-flicks India past Britain 3-1 - May 06, 2011
- India beat Malaysia to win Azlan Shah Cup hockey - Apr 12, 2009
- 48 probables selected for national hockey camp - Jul 16, 2011
Tags: azlan shah cup, breakthrough, bridesmaid, brim, favours, good fight, hockey champions, hockey tournament, ipoh, kuala lumpur, new straits times, prabhjot singh, runners, successes, sultan azlan shah, sultan azlan shah cup, take the lead, third defeat, tirkey, worthy champions