India-US talks open with call to harness full potential of tiesJune 13th, 2012 - 11:25 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, June 13 (IANS) India and United States opened their strategic dialogue Wednesday with a call to harness the full potential of their multifarious relationship encompassing strategic, economic and defence issues, as also the struggle against terrorism.
“It’s a unique opportunity to bring together all the threads that constitute the extraordinary tapestry of our relationship,” Indian External Affairs Minister S.M. Krishna said at the opening session of the third annual dialogue he is co-chairing with US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton.
Having settled the question whether India and the United States should forge a new cooperative relationship, “the question we ask is how to harness the full potential of that relationship”, he added.
Echoing Krishna, Clinton said: “The effectiveness of our cooperation depends on our abilities together to divert country interests into common action” on issues ranging from civil nuclear energy to more US investment in India to defending human rights to promoting women’s empowerment.
After that the delegations went into a plenary session for a wide ranging discussion surrounding five key themes: Strategic, Defence, Homeland Security, Counter-terrorism and Intelligence; Economic, Energy, Climate; Science & Technology, Innovation and Health; Higher Education and Empowerment; and Regional Strategies and linkages.
Krishna and Clinton had announced the strategic dialogue in July 2009 in Delhi. Clinton hosted the first edition in June 2010 in Washington. The second edition was in July 2011 in New Delhi.
(Arun Kumar can be contacted at email@example.com)
- India, US resolve to harness full potential of ties (Lead) - Jun 14, 2012
- Hillary coming to India in July for talks (Lead, superseding earlier story) - Apr 20, 2011
- Clinton to come to India in July: Krishna - Apr 19, 2011
- India, US to hold strategic dialogue, Iran high on agenda - Jun 08, 2012
- Secretary Clinton opens the US-India Strategic Dialogue - Jun 04, 2010
- Focus on innovation to realise potential of India-US ties: Krishna (Second Lead) - Jun 02, 2010
- India, US to hold trilateral dialogue with Afghanistan - Jun 14, 2012
- Shared values converging India-US interests: Clinton (Lead) - Jun 13, 2012
- India, US hope for global strategic partnership (Lead) - Jun 03, 2010
- Breakthrough on n-deal boosts India-US ties - Jun 14, 2012
- Pakistan must act against terror, says India - May 08, 2012
- Three keys to make India-US ties soar - Jul 16, 2012
- India-US will shape the rest of this century: Clinton (Lead) - Jun 04, 2010
- Iran, Pakistan on anvil as Clinton and Krishna meet (Afternoon Lead) - May 08, 2012
- India, US closer than ever: Indian envoy - Jul 03, 2012
Tags: arun kumar, climate science, cooperative relationship, counter terrorism, country interests, defence issues, delegations, economic energy, empowerment, external affairs minister, hillary clinton, krishna, linkages, New Delhi, nuclear energy, plenary session, regional strategies, technology innovation, us secretary of state, wide ranging discussion