India, US initial pact on joint clean energy research centreAugust 20th, 2010 - 10:28 pm ICT by IANS
By Arun Kumar
Washington, Aug 20 (IANS) India and the United States Friday initialled an agreement for setting up a Joint Clean Energy Research and Development Centre to foster innovation and joint efforts to accelerate deployment of clean energy technologies.
The agreement was initialled by the Indian ambassador to the US Meera Shankar and US Deputy Secretary of Energy Daniel Poneman.
The joint research centre was one of the priority initiatives envisaged under an MOU signed during Prime Minister Manmohan Singh’s state visit to US last November to enhance cooperation on Energy Security, Energy Efficiency and Climate Change.
The Centre will facilitate joint research and development by teams of scientists and engineers from the US and India on clean energy and related joint activities, needed to deploy clean energy technologies rapidly with the greatest impact.
The areas of cooperation would include energy efficiency of buildings, smart grids, unconventional natural gas, second-generation bio fuels, clean coal technologies and solar energy.
Both governments would provide funding for the activities to help ensure long-term and stable financial support to achieve the objectives of the Centre. Private industry and academia in both countries are also expected to provide additional resources.
This agreement is a significant step forward in strengthening cooperation between the two countries in an area of increasing national and international priority, the Indian embassy here said.
Technology breakthroughs will be critical in achieving energy security in a clean and sustainable manner and the Joint India-US Research Centre could be a valuable catalyst in the process, it said.
(Arun Kumar can be contacted at email@example.com)
- Cooperation needed for sustainable development: US - Jul 18, 2011
- US, India setting up $125 mn clean energy centre - Apr 14, 2012
- India, US enhance bilateral ties through six pacts - Nov 08, 2010
- India, US ink three agreements on energy - Nov 09, 2010
- 'US-UAE nuclear cooperation aims at low-carbon' - Feb 25, 2011
- India-US science body seeks removal of visa problems - Jun 13, 2012
- AMU may get Indo-US energy centre - Jun 22, 2011
- India, US launch open government platform - Jun 12, 2012
- List of agreements signed between India and US - Nov 25, 2009
- India, US to broaden knowledge partnership (Lead) - Oct 14, 2011
- India should collaborate more with US in healthcare: Prathap Reddy - Jul 25, 2012
- Text of Manmohan Singh-Barack Obama joint statement - Nov 25, 2009
- Defence cooperation is key facet of India-US partnership - Mar 10, 2011
- US, India believe clean energy future makes clear economic sense - Jan 28, 2011
- Highlights from Obama-Singh press conference - Nov 08, 2010
Tags: arun kumar, bio fuels, clean coal technologies, clean energy technologies, climate change, energy efficiency, energy research centre, energy security, indian ambassador, indian embassy, international priority, manmohan, manmohan singh, meera shankar, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, secretary of energy, sustainable manner, technology breakthroughs, unconventional natural gas