India to reopen consulate in KarachiMarch 14th, 2012 - 12:33 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, March 14 (IANS) India plans to reopen its consulate in the port city of Karachi, said Indian High Commissioner to Pakistan Sharat Sabharwal.
Sabharwal said Tuesday that talks were underway for the reopening of the Indian Consulate in Karachi to facilitate Pakistani nationals applying for visas, reported Geo News from Sindh province.
The envoy was interacting with the media during his visit to the Bhutto family mausoleum at Garhi Khuda Bakhsh.
Sabharwal said the Bhutto family had sacrificed their lives for the sake of democracy.
With some 70 percent of Pakistanis seeking Indian visas being from Sindh, the two countries had agreed during the visit to New Delhi of then Pakistani president Pervez Musharraf in April 2005 to reopen consulates in Karachi and Mumbai.
The Pakistani government had in December 1994 ordered the Indian consulate in Karachi to close down, saying it “cannot allow a centre for sabotage, subversion and terrorism to continue to operate within Pakistan”.
- Gilani visits Benazir grave - Jun 21, 2012
- India urged to re-open consulate in Karachi - May 18, 2009
- Pakistan remembers Benazir Bhutto - Dec 27, 2011
- Nusrat Bhutto dies, Pakistan declares mourning - Oct 23, 2011
- India-Pakistan to ease visa norms: Indian envoy (Lead) - Jun 08, 2011
- Pakistan visit fruitful, says Krishna (Lead) - Sep 09, 2012
- Zardari forms panel to talk to Hindus - Aug 11, 2012
- Maharastra minister calls for easing India-Pakistan visa regime - May 25, 2012
- Thousands evacuated as floods threaten Pakistani province - Aug 27, 2010
- India-Pakistan working to ease visa procedures: Indian envoy - Jun 08, 2011
- Liberal Indian visa a good thing, says daily - Feb 18, 2012
- Thousands in Pakistan mark second anniversary of Bhutto's death - Dec 27, 2009
- Nusrat Bhutto was woman of dignity, courage: Daily - Oct 24, 2011
- Newlyweds Shoaib-Sania arrive in Karachi - Apr 22, 2010
- Pakistan visit fruitful: Krishna (Second Lead) - Sep 09, 2012
Tags: bhutto family, consulates in karachi, family mausoleum, geo news, indian consulate, indian high commissioner, indian visas, islamabad, khuda bakhsh, New Delhi, pakistani government, pakistani nationals, pakistani president pervez musharraf, pakistanis, pervez musharraf, president pervez musharraf, sabotage, sake, sharat, subversion