India to remain top buyer of Russian combat aircraft: reportApril 21st, 2009 - 1:48 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, April 21 (RIA Novosti) India will remain the main purchaser of Russian-made combat aircraft for the next 15 years under existing and prospective contracts, a Russian think tank has said.
In its report titled “The Forecast for Combat Aircraft Deliveries to India”, the Center for Analysis and Technologies outlined the prospects for Russian-Indian cooperation.
The report predicts that India will buy up to 90 Su-30 MKI fighters under existing contracts and may also purchase additional Su-30 or modernised MiG-29K.
Russia’s MiG-35 Fulcrum is also participating in the current $10.6-billion tender to supply 126 multirole fighters to the Indian Air Force.
Russian experts believe that the MiG-35 has an excellent chance of winning the tender because the Russian aircraft has superb performance characteristics and Russia and India share a long-standing partnership in strategic and military-technical cooperation.
In addition, Russia signed in March last year a contract with the Indian defence ministry to upgrade around 70 MiG-29 fighters, in service since the 1980s, and agreed to develop a fifth-generation fighter together with India.
India desperately needs to upgrade its fighter fleet, which includes Su-30MKI and MiG-29 fighters, but mainly consists of obsolete Russian MiG-21 models.
- Why Russia is losing out in the Indian defence market (Comment) - Jun 14, 2012
- Malaysia plans to buy 18 more Russian fighter jets - Nov 15, 2011
- Russia's MiG starts new batch of fighters for Indian Navy - Aug 04, 2011
- Russia close to signing Su-35 fighter deal with China - Mar 06, 2012
- Russia signs $35 mn missile deal with Malaysia - Apr 20, 2012
- Russia tests upgraded MiG fighter jet for India - Feb 05, 2011
- Russia delivers naval fighters to India - May 31, 2011
- Russia to display MiG-35 fighter at Aero India - Feb 03, 2009
- Russia to deliver five MiG-29K fighters to India - Aug 13, 2011
- Russia continues to dominate Indian military aviation - Aug 19, 2010
- Rs.11,000-crore upgrade of Su-30 proposed - Aug 18, 2010
- India, Russia sign five deals, including for Sukhoi jets (Second Lead) - Dec 16, 2011
- Govt to phase-out MiG fighter aircraft by 2017: Antony - Feb 23, 2011
- New planes' induction will reduce air crashes: Antony - Feb 05, 2011
- France's Dassault wins India's $10.4 bn combat jet deal (Roundup) - Jan 31, 2012
Tags: 1980s, aircraft deliveries, combat aircraft, defence ministry, fifth generation, fulcrum, generation fighter, india india, india share, indian air force, indian defence, mig 21, mig 35, performance characteristics, purchaser, ria novosti, russian aircraft, russian experts, su 30mki, technical cooperation