India to help Afghanistan set up local government agenciesMay 19th, 2008 - 10:58 pm ICT by admin
Kabul, May 19 (IANS) India has pledged to help Afghanistan set up local government institutions by deputing Indian experts here as well as by attaching Afghan local representatives with Indian local governance bodies. This was decided during Panchayati Raj Minister Mani Shankar Aiyar’s four-day visit beginning Saturday.
A memorandum of understanding (MoU) was signed on the first day of the visit, envisaging the setting up of an India-Afghanistan Joint Working Group (JWG) on Local Governance.
The JWG will include officials from the Panchayati Raj ministry and the National Institute of Rural Development, Hyderabad, as well as the Afghan Ministry of Rural Rehabilitation and Development and Independent Directorate of Local Governance.
It will recommend a schedule of activities for bilateral exchanges to the Joint Forum on Local Governance.
Aiyar met Independent Directorate of Local Governance (IDLG) director general Jelani Popal Sunday and discussed synergies between the Panchayati Raj, the local governance system in India, and the proposed sub-national governance structures and processes in Afghanistan.
The Indian embassy here said in a statement that they discussed support to Afghanistan by way of deputation of Indian policy and legal experts for formulating sub-national policy and legislation.
“It was agreed that a select number of sub-national representatives will be suitably placed with Panchayati Raj bodies in various parts of India for gaining first-hand knowledge of the working of the local self-governance system,” it said.
Aiyar Monday participated in a brain-storming symposium on sub-national governance under the aegis of the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP).
“During the session, the decentralization experiences of the two countries were shared, common sub-national governance issues identified as well as ways determined in which the Indian experience could complement the emerging sub-national structures in Afghanistan,” said the statement.
- India, Afghanistan sign MoU on local governance - May 18, 2008
- Norwegian delegation to study decentralised governance - Jan 11, 2012
- Indian panchayat leaders to guide Afghan counterparts - Sep 25, 2008
- US was happy at my exit from petroleum ministry: Aiyar - Mar 28, 2011
- Manmohan Singh emphasises on need to strengthen panchayats - Apr 24, 2011
- Kerala to get $200 mn World Bank aid - Jul 04, 2011
- Norway envoy calls on Deshmukh - Mar 30, 2011
- Commemoration of 'National Panchayati Raj Divas' on Sunday - Apr 22, 2011
- India, Switzerland to cooperate in local governance - Dec 12, 2011
- UN to help empower elected women in Karnataka - Sep 14, 2011
- Afghanistan seeks Indian equipment for security forces (Roundup) - May 01, 2012
- Hazare movement could undermine democracy: Aiyar - Apr 24, 2011
- IT making panchayats transparent: Minister - Mar 28, 2012
- State administration must be purposeful and dynamic: Manmohan Singh - Feb 10, 2011
- Decks cleared for panchayat polls in Kashmir: Minister - Jan 29, 2011