India to attend SCO meeting in Moscow todayMarch 27th, 2009 - 1:09 pm ICT by ANI
Moscow, Mar 27 (ANI): India will attend the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO) conference on Afghanistan in Moscow on Friday.
The conference is being held ahead of the March 31 meeting on Afghanistan in The Hague, under the initiative of the United States. India is participating in both the meetings.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh’s special envoy, Satinder Lambah, will represent India at the conference.
While India, Iran, Mongolia and Pakistan have observer status at the SCO, Russia, China, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan and Uzbekistan are full-time members of the organisation.
During the conference, Lambah is expected to express resentment against treating any section of the Taliban as “good”.
The Indian Government has been worried about reports from Washington that the Obama administration wants to reach out to the so-called “good Taliban”, the moderate section of the terrorists in Afghanistan-Pakistan in a bid to control the war situation there.
India is likely to call for stabilisation in Afghanistan, by way of giving emphasis to developmental initiatives and military and security components in creating a zone of peace.
United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon and senior officials from the U.S., the European Union, North Atlantic Treaty Organisation (NATO) and other international organisations will participate in the conference. (ANI)
- India to pitch for larger role at SCO summit - May 27, 2012
- Putin proposes anti-terror centre in SCO - Jun 07, 2012
- Russia seeks India, Pakistan to join SCO - May 12, 2012
- Chinese PM to visit Russia - Nov 06, 2011
- Russia wants India, Pakistan in SCO (Lead) - May 12, 2012
- India ups SCO sales pitch - Jun 07, 2012
- Zardari, Ahmadinejad reach China for Shanghai summit - Jun 05, 2012
- Pakistan wants full SCO membership - Jun 06, 2012
- Ahmadinejad to attend Shanghai summit - Jun 03, 2012
- China to issue $10 bn in loans to SCO members - Jun 07, 2012
- Pakistan seeks full membership of Shanghai group - Jun 13, 2011
- India pitches for SCO's membership, Afghan role - Jun 05, 2012
- (HOLD) Krishna leaves for SCO summit in China - Jun 05, 2012
- China, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan hold anti-terror drills - May 08, 2011
- Pakistani PM to attend SCO summit in Russia - Nov 01, 2011
Tags: afghanistan pakistan, atlantic treaty organisation, ban ki moon, developmental initiatives, hague, indian government, international organisations, manmohan, manmohan singh, north atlantic treaty organisation, observer status, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, resentment, security components, senior officials, shanghai cooperation organisation, time members, united nations secretary general, war situation