India to arm Russia-built jets with BrahMos missilesApril 22nd, 2010 - 10:49 am ICT by IANS
Kuala Lumpur, April 22 (IANS/RIA Novosti) The Indian Air Force will arm 40 Russia-built Sukhoi fighter jets with BrahMos missiles, a top official has said.
The addition of the missiles to India’s fleet of Su-30MKI Flanker-H fighters will make them “absolutely unique” in firepower, Sivathanu Pillai, head of BrahMos Aerospace, said here Wednesday at the Defence Services Asia (DSA)-2010 exhibition.
The first tests of BrahMos air-launched missiles were set for 2011, while the first fighter test flights with missiles on board are scheduled for late 2012, he said.
The BrahMos missile has a range of 290 km and can carry a warhead of up to 300 kg. It can effectively engage ground targets from an altitude as low as 10 metres and has a top speed of Mach 2.8, which is three times faster than the US-made subsonic Tomahawk cruise missile.
The BrahMos Aerospace, an Indian-Russian joint venture established in 1998, produces BrahMos supersonic missiles, sea and ground-launch versions of which have been successfully tested and put into service by the Indian Army and Navy.
- Joint Russia-India missile to be ready by 2017 - Jun 28, 2012
- Indian fighter jets to be armed with BrahMos missiles - Feb 05, 2010
- Work on BrahMos' hypersonic version to begin this year: Russian official - Jun 12, 2011
- Successful trial of supersonic BrahMos cruise missile - Aug 12, 2011
- India tests BrahMos supersonic cruise missile - Mar 30, 2012
- India successfully tests supersonic cruise missile - Jul 29, 2012
- Army to order mountain-strike BrahMos regiment soon (Lead) - Mar 31, 2012
- 40 Indian fighter jets to be fitted with BrahMos missiles - Apr 22, 2010
- Army to order mountain-strike BrahMos regiment soon - Mar 31, 2012
- India successfully tests BrahMos (Lead) - Jul 29, 2012
- New version of BrahMos missile tested - Mar 28, 2012
- Russian-built, BrahMos-fitted frigate set for Indian Navy induction - Dec 16, 2011
- India successfully tests BrahMos supersonic cruise missile (Lead) - Mar 30, 2012
- Malaysia plans to buy 18 more Russian fighter jets - Nov 15, 2011
- Work on BrahMos' hypersonic version on - Oct 10, 2011
Tags: army and navy, brahmos missile, cruise missile, defence services, firepower, flanker, ground targets, indian air force, indian army, kuala lumpur, launch, mach 2, missiles, mj, ria novosti, su 30mki, sukhoi fighter jets, test flights, top speed, warhead