‘India should join NATO’December 6th, 2008 - 10:18 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, Dec 6 (IANS) A new political outfit, Jago (Awake!) Party, Saturday demanded India give up its non-aligned status and join the North Atlantic Treaty Organisation (NATO) to more effectively combat terrorism.”The more than five-decade old Non-Aligned Movement (NAM) is no longer relevant in the current world order. The world is no longer divided in blocs headed by two superpowers. Now the questions faced by our country need fresh answers,” party chief Deepak Mittal said here.
“We should join NATO to fight the menace of crossborder terrorism”, he said, adding that if this country were part of the alliance, “any attack on India will be considered an attack on NATO and all the member countries will reply with their combined strength to fight the source of the attack”.
The party was set up Aug 2007 and the Election Commission registered it as a political party Jan 2008.
The party fielded 30 candidates in the recently concluded assembly elections in Rajasthan. It is also planning to contest the forthcoming general elections.
Mittal, a local businessman, said the party, led by “educated and competent individuals, is dedicated to awake the sleeping populace of our country”.
All political parties, national or regional, are playing divisive politics based on caste and religion, he said, adding they decided to enter politics to protest the current scenario and were against “all deceitful politicians”.
“Our party candidates will be intellectuals drawn from the common people and professional politicians who have contested elections from other parties will never be considered as our candidates,” said Mittal.
- To bust Chinese hackers, NATO sees an ally in India - Sep 09, 2011
- Iran not hankering after n-weapons: Ayatollah Khamenei (Lead) - Aug 30, 2012
- 'Nehru's foreign policy needs to be revisited' (IANS Books) - Jun 17, 2012
- Not hankering after n-weapons, says Iran (Second Lead) - Aug 30, 2012
- Myanmar holds landmark votes - Apr 01, 2012
- Not quitting, BJP negating democracy: PM (Roundup) - Aug 31, 2012
- CPI to fight Tamil Nadu local polls with DMDK - Sep 28, 2011
- Hazare, team end fast; promise people's movement as political alternative (Roundup) - Aug 03, 2012
- Ahmadinejad invites Morsi to non-aligned meet in Iran - Jul 06, 2012
- If you love democracy, don't hate politicians: CEC - Feb 21, 2012
- War rages in Bihar between BJP, JD-U (Bihar Newsletter) - Jun 23, 2012
- Achuthanandan faces flak for remarks on ex-CPI-M woman leader - Mar 11, 2012
- Campaigning ends for Andhra by-elections - Jun 10, 2012
- Karzai again calls for national reconciliation - Jul 13, 2012
- Trinamool complains to EC against money power in UP polls - Feb 16, 2012
Tags: assembly elections, atlantic treaty organisation, competent individuals, general elections, mittal, mumbai terror attack, north atlantic treaty organisation, party candidates, party chief, political outfit, professional politicians