India, Seychelles to expand anti-piracy operationsOctober 28th, 2011 - 9:33 pm ICT by IANS
Perth, Oct 28 (IANS) India and Seychelles, the picturesque Indian Ocean archipelago, Friday discussed ways to expand their cooperation in combating piracy and a host of security issues.
Vice President Hamid Ansari, who is heading the Indian delegation to the biennial Commonwealth heads of Government Meeting (CHOGM), met President James Alix Michel on its sidelines and discussed a wide swathe of bilateral issues.
Officials said the meeting reviewed the status of the fight against Somali pirates, with Michel expressing appreciation of the Indian efforts.
Ansari also discussed in detail Indian assistance to Seychelles under the Indian Technical and Economic Assistance (ITEC) programme and extension of lines of credit to the the African nation.
The two also discussed the potential that tourism holds for Seychelles and ways to increase the inflow of Indian tourists to the island nation.
Seychelles was one of the nations that joined the ambitious Pan African e-Network Project in its first phase, inaugurated in February 2009.
The last visit by India’s External Affairs Minister S.M. Krishna to Seychelles was in July 2010, a little over a month after Michel paid a state visit to India.
Earlier this year, the Indian Navy deployed a Dornier maritime surveillance aircraft in the Seychelles for carrying out anti-piracy operations in the Indian Ocean Region. The aircraft, stationed at Seychelles’ capital Victoria, would be operated by Navy crew on anti-piracy patrol duties in the Indian Ocean Region (IOR).
India has also agreed to provide two Chetak maritime choppers to Seychelles for its fight against sea-pirates.
- India to host Seychelles president amid China worry - Jan 28, 2012
- With China watching, India, Seychelles to up anti-piracy efforts - Feb 02, 2012
- India'a Dornier aircraft in Seychelles for anti-piracy operations - Feb 16, 2011
- India positions naval aircraft in Seychelles - Feb 24, 2011
- India signs pacts with Seychelles to combat piracy - Feb 15, 2012
- India to give three aircraft to Seychelles (Second Lead) - Jul 19, 2010
- Antony returns from successful Seychelles visit - Jul 20, 2010
- India to base anti-piracy patrol plane in Maldives - Oct 18, 2011
- Hit hard, Seychelles seeks Indian help against pirates - Feb 20, 2012
- India to give three helicopters to Seychelles - Jul 19, 2010
- India to give Seychelles three aircraft for surveillance (Lead) - Jul 19, 2010
- India to give Seychelles Dornier, Chetak helicopters to combat piracy - Jul 19, 2010
- Indian warships visit China after six years - Jun 14, 2012
- Seychelles president coming to India, piracy tops agenda - Jun 01, 2010
- Indian Ocean Rim grouping to jointly combat piracy menace (Lead) - Nov 15, 2011
Tags: african nation, bilateral issues, chetak, chogm, commonwealth heads, economic assistance, expressing appreciation, external affairs minister, hamid ansari, heads of government, indian delegation, indian efforts, indian navy, indian ocean region, indian tourists, maritime surveillance, navy crew, sea pirates, somali pirates, surveillance aircraft