India seeks global action defeat terrorismNovember 15th, 2011 - 4:52 pm ICT by IANS
United Nations, Nov 15 (IANS) India has called for international cooperation and concerted action against terrorists and their sponsors, including the complete dismantling of terrorist safe havens.
“The international community must join hands to eliminate the risks relating to sensitive materials and technologies falling into the hands of terrorists and non-state actors,” India’s Permanent Representative Hardeep Puri told the UN Security Council Monday.
The international response to the threat needs to be national as well as multilateral and global, he said.
Highlighting the dangers of transfers of WMDs (weapons of mass destruction) to non state actors, Puri said that given the evolving complex challenges emanating from non-state actors to international peace and security, such risks are more than ever before.
“India supports international efforts to prevent non-state actors and terrorists from acquiring WMDs and their means of delivery,” he said.
The Indian envoy recalled Prime Minister Manmohan Singh’s statement to the UN general assembly in September that “the fight against terrorism must be unrelenting and fought across all fronts with no selective approaches in dealing with terrorist groups or the infrastructure of terrorism”.
“Indeed, our entire region, South Asia, has been wracked by the activities of the biggest terrorist organizations and entities in the world, be they Al Qaida, elements of Taliban or Lashkar-e-Taiba and others,” Puri said.
It is critical that all sanctions regimes established by the Security Council must ensure due process in their working procedures and decision-making, he said.
Earlier, speaking as chairman of the UN Counter-Terrorism Committee, Puri said the body will continue to play a critical role in the global fight against terrorism.
It will strive to do so in a more strategic and transparent manner so that it can more effectively contribute to the global counter-terrorism efforts, within the scope of its mandate.
- India offers help in stopping proliferation of WMDs - Apr 21, 2011
- India calls for collective global action against terror - Jan 25, 2011
- More needs to be done in Afghanistan: India to UNSC - Mar 21, 2012
- India abstains from Saudi-sponsored resolution aimed at Iran - Nov 19, 2011
- India presses for international terrorism convention - May 12, 2010
- Mumbai attacks accused must be brought to justice: UN chief - Apr 27, 2012
- India to push for global counter-terrorism convention at UN - Sep 17, 2011
- India, China and Russia stress on proliferation of weapons to fight terrorism - Nov 15, 2010
- India for 'concerted action' against 'terrorism syndicate' in Afghanistan - Jun 28, 2012
- Cross-border terror backed by official agencies: India (Lead) - Jan 07, 2011
- US pressing Pakistan to take increased action against LeT, other terror groups - Apr 16, 2011
- India ready to help fight piracy in Africa - Feb 28, 2012
- All people must stand against terrorism: UN chief - Sep 11, 2011
- India must go for covert action in Pakistan: Book - Jul 27, 2012
- India calls for national reconciliation in Libya - Nov 03, 2011
Tags: concerted action, counter terrorism, defeat terrorism, global action, global fight, indian envoy, international cooperation, international efforts, international peace, international response, lashkar e taiba, manmohan singh, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, safe havens, sensitive materials, state actors, transparent manner, un security council, weapons of mass destruction