India, Saudi Arabia ink historic Riyadh DeclarationMarch 1st, 2010 - 12:24 pm ICT by ANI
Riyadh, Mar. 1 (ANI): In what is a clear reflection of an emerging strategic partnership, visiting Indian Prime Minister, Dr. Manmohan Singh, and Saudi Arabian monarch King Abdullah Bin Abdul Aziz signed the historic Riyadh Declaration at Grandoise Al Rawdah Palace on Sunday.
Before the event, the Indian Prime Minister was formally recieved by King Abdullah and was also bestowed with a special honour called Shaish. The Crown Prince,Sultan bin Abdul Aziz Al Saud, had recieved this rare honour before Dr.Singh.
The Riyadh Declaration is similar to the Delhi Declaration that was signed in 2006 when King Abdullah Bin Abdul Aziz visited the Indian capital.
In the Riyadh Declaration, both leaders condemned the phenomena of terrorism , extremism and violence, and affirmed that it was global in nature and threatened all societies, irrespective of race,colour or belief.
Sources said India and Saudi Arabia held deep discussions on the security scenario prevailing in Pakistan and Afghanistan.
Earlier in the day, Saudi Arabian Foreign Minister Prince Saud Al-Faisal had expressed concern over growing dangerous trends in Pakistan.
The two leaders also welcomed the signing of the five bilateral agreements in the declaration.
The two sides agreed to enhance copeeration in exchange of information relating to terrorist activities,money laundering , narcotics , arms and human trafficking and develop joint strategies to combat these threats. Both urged the international community to resolutely combat terrorism.
The Riyadh Declaration also called for the preservation of Afghanistan’s sovereignty and indepennce. Both leaders expressed full support for efforts aimed at helping Kabul to develop its infrastructure and achieve social and economic development.
They also emphasised the importance of regional and international efforts with a focus on making the Middle East and the Gulf region free of all nuclear weapons. (ANI)
- Saudi King Abdullah names Prince Naif crown prince - Oct 28, 2011
- Saudi king names new defence minister - Nov 06, 2011
- Saudi King Abdullah names Prince Salman crown prince - Jun 20, 2012
- Manmohan Singh touched by Saudi gestures - Mar 02, 2010
- Saudi prince's funeral to be held in Mecca - Jun 17, 2012
- Saudi offer to hike crude exports to India - Feb 14, 2012
- Zardari to attend Islamic meet in Saudi Arabia - Jul 29, 2012
- Saudi prince's funeral services held in Mecca (Lead) - Jun 18, 2012
- UAE mourns death of Saudi crown prince - Jun 16, 2012
- Saudi defence minister dead (Lead) - Oct 22, 2011
- Salman Khurshid arrives for Saudi Arabian prince's funeral - Jun 17, 2012
- UAE leaders greet new Saudi crown prince - Jun 19, 2012
- India, Saudi Arabia ink historic Riyadh Declaration (update) - Mar 01, 2010
- Saudi Arabia honours Indian envoy - Jul 12, 2011
- Saudi king chooses new crown prince, interior minister - Jun 18, 2012
Tags: abdullah bin abdul aziz, al rawdah, bilateral agreements, clear reflection, crown prince sultan, dangerous trends, delhi declaration, dr manmohan singh, dr singh, human trafficking, indian prime minister, king abdullah, manmohan singh, prince saud al faisal, prince sultan bin abdul aziz, rare honour, saud al faisal, strategic partnership, sultan bin abdul aziz, sultan bin abdul aziz al saud