India, Russia set to start work on fifth generation fighterDecember 10th, 2008 - 5:24 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, Dec 10 (RIA Novosti) Russia would soon sign a contract with India to jointly develop and produce a fifth-generation combat jet from next year, the director general of Russian aircraft maker Sukhoi said here Wednesday. “We plan to begin flight tests (of the fighter) as early as in 2009,” Mikhail Pogosyan told reporters.
The Russian-Indian advanced multi-role fighter is being developed by Sukhoi, which is part of Russia’s United Aircraft Corporation (UAC), along with India’s Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL), under a inter-governmental agreement signed in Oct 2007.
Russia and India will simultaneously develop two versions of the combat aircraft - a two-seat version to meet the requirements of India’s air superiority policy, and a single-seat version for the Russian Air Force.
Pogosyan is in Beijing as part of a delegation accompanying Defense Minister Anatoly Serdyukov, who is leading the Russian side at the 13th Russian-Chinese Commission on Military and Technical Cooperation.
Pgosyan told reporters that Russia and China are also set to boost cooperation in combat aircraft production.
“China is one of the main customers for our (Russian) aircraft and today the Chinese Air Force has in service over 200 of our Su-27 Flanker and Su-30 Flanker-C jet fighters,” he said.
The commission is set to discuss further cooperation in aircraft production and particularly the licensed production of Su-27 and Su-30 planes in China.
China has acquired 76 Su-27SK fighters from Russia since 1992, and bought a license for production of another 200 planes in 1995, in a deal worth $2.5 billion.
However, the 1995 agreement did not include the transfer of avionics and AL-31F turbofan engine technology, and the Chinese manufacturers had to rely on the Russian supply of these systems.
- Russia close to signing Su-35 fighter deal with China - Mar 06, 2012
- Why Russia is losing out in the Indian defence market (Comment) - Jun 14, 2012
- India, Russia sign deal for another 42 Sukhoi combat planes (Lead) - Dec 16, 2011
- Malaysia plans to buy 18 more Russian fighter jets - Nov 15, 2011
- 'Antony won't witness fifth generation combat plane flight' - Sep 30, 2011
- Crash-hit Sukhois get Indian Air Force chief's thumbs up - Dec 21, 2011
- India, Russia sign five deals, including for Sukhoi jets (Second Lead) - Dec 16, 2011
- Sukhoi to remain top combat aircraft seller till 2015 - Feb 25, 2012
- Russia to sell off 18 fighter planes that India rejected - May 16, 2012
- Joint Russia-India missile to be ready by 2017 - Jun 28, 2012
- Indonesia says 'no, thanks' to Russia's Sukhoi jets - Aug 09, 2012
- New stealth fighter jet for Russia, India - Aug 16, 2011
- Indian fighter jets to be armed with BrahMos missiles - Feb 05, 2010
- India-Russia combat jet may compete in South Korean tender - Aug 18, 2011
- IAF inducts second SU-30 squadron in northeast - Mar 01, 2011