India ready to join global efforts to tackle piracyJune 22nd, 2011 - 12:00 pm ICT by IANS
United Nations, June 22 (IANS) India has expressed readiness to join any international efforts to tackle the threat of piracy and armed robbery at sea and in safety and release of hostages taken by pirates.
“India has a strong and abiding interest in ensuring the security of maritime traffic off the Somali coast and the Gulf of Aden,” India’s Permanent Representative Hardeep Singh Puri said at a UN Security Council briefing Tuesday.
“We stand ready to contribute to any international efforts aimed at increasing effective cooperation among States to tackle the threat of piracy and armed robbery at sea and in safety and release of hostages taken by pirates,” he said.
Puri also emphasised that with the increased presence of international naval forces off the coast of Somalia and in the Gulf of Aden, pirates have moved to other areas and increased pirate activity has been witnessed in the larger Indian Ocean area.
Earlier, at another Security Council briefing on Sudan, Puri urged all the parties concerned with and interested in the issues between the North and the South to encourage the parties to abjure violence.
The international community, including the Security Council, should stand ready to support the parties in implementation of the agreements that they may reach, he said.
“To this end, we stand ready to work with the other members of the Council,” Puri said.
(Arun Kumar can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org)
- India ready to help fight piracy in Africa - Feb 28, 2012
- India pledges support to global efforts to tackle piracy - Oct 20, 2011
- India proposes five point plan to tackle piracy off Somalia - Jan 27, 2011
- Without UN effort, piracy elimination difficult: India - Jun 27, 2011
- UNSC discusses piracy in Gulf of Guinea - Oct 20, 2011
- Menacing pirate mother vessel neutralized by Indian Navy and Coast Guard - Jan 29, 2011
- Pirate ship sunk by navy, Coast Guard in Arabian Sea (Lead) - Jan 29, 2011
- ASEM-8 leaders favour more sharing of intelligence inputs to curb sea piracy - Oct 06, 2010
- At India's call, UNSC condemns hostage taking by Somalian pirates - Apr 12, 2011
- Before US posting, Nirupama Rao speaks on maritime policy - Jul 28, 2011
- Antony hints at terror links to Somali pirates - Sep 27, 2011
- India on radar of terrorists, getting threats everyday: Antony - Dec 24, 2010
- India tweaks navy's anti-piracy rules of engagement (Lead) - Mar 11, 2011
- UNSC voices concern over maritime piracy - Aug 31, 2011
- India mulls law to battle sea pirates - Mar 12, 2011
Tags: armed robbery, arun kumar, coast of somalia, cooperation, global efforts, gulf of aden, indian ocean, international efforts, maritime traffic, ocean area, piracy, pirate, pirates, puri, release of hostages, somali coast, sudan, un security council, united nations, violence