India pandering to emotions: ItalyFebruary 21st, 2012 - 3:58 pm ICT by IANS
Rome, Feb 21 (IANS) Indian authorities are pandering to emotions over the arrest of two Italian Marines for the killing of two Indian fishermen, Italy’s Foreign Minister Giulio Terzi has said.
Indian authorities are also pandering to emotions and local politics, Italian news agency AKI quoted the minister as saying Monday.
A security detail of Italian Marines Feb 15 fired at a fishing boat off the coast of Kerala, killing the fisherman. The Italians said they mistook the victims to be pirates.
“At the moment there are considerable differences of a judicial nature,” Terzi told reporters here.
Terzi said local politics was adding to the difficulty of resolving the diplomatic differences.
The two Marines have been arrested and charged with murder. The Italians say the incident took place in international waters and the Italians should be tried in Italy. India disputes this.
- India pandering to emotions on fishermen's killing: Italy (Lead) - Feb 21, 2012
- Fishermen row: Italian minister heads to India - Feb 21, 2012
- Fishermen killing: Italy summons Indian envoy in Rome - Mar 07, 2012
- Italy regrets fishermen killing, row persists (Third Lead) - Feb 22, 2012
- Shooting row: Italy says satisfied with progress, minister on way - Feb 24, 2012
- We will pursue matter in spirit of friendship: Terzi (Lead) - Feb 28, 2012
- Italy regrets fishermen killing, but row persists (Second Lead) - Feb 22, 2012
- India, Italy to clear air on fishermen's killing - Feb 28, 2012
- Shooting row: India, Italy fail to resolve differences (Lead) - Feb 28, 2012
- Fishermen's killing: India-Italy differences unresolved; court toughens stance (Night Lead) - Feb 28, 2012
- India, Italy fail to resolve differences over fishermen's killing (Fourth Lead) - Feb 28, 2012
- Fishermen's killing: India, Italy fail to resolve differences (Third Lead) - Feb 28, 2012
- Shooting row: Italian minister heads to India (Round up) - Feb 21, 2012
- Italian shooting: Legal battle begins - Feb 26, 2012
- Fishermen killing: Italian PM calls Manmohan - Mar 08, 2012
Tags: emotions, fisherman, fishing boat, foreign minister, India, indian authorities, indian fishermen, international waters, italian news agency, italians, italy rome, kerala, marines, pirates, security detail